Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Model Railroading > O Scale pilot mount snow plow for diesels

Date: 05/18/18 11:14
O Scale pilot mount snow plow for diesels
Author: fbe

Does anyone make a casting for this ?

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/18 11:16 by fbe.

Date: 05/18/18 12:02
Re: O Scale pilot mount snow plow for diesels
Author: rnb3

fbe,

O scale diesel detail parts are pretty slim pickings, especially when compared to HO offerings. The biggest selection for plows in O scale is from the Atlas parts department. Some of their ready to run offerings have plows and they sell parts through their website or by calling them. Buyer beware, I doubt any of these are true to any prototype! There are a very limited number of spares hidden out there from old runs of brass models too, as well as from Precision Scale and Miniatures by Eric. Des Plains Hobbies is about the best consolidated O scale detail source, they might be able to help.

American Scale Models lists some Overland Brass plows here; http://americanscalemodels.com/O/O_DETAIL_PARTS?page=2

I'm tinkering with making my own, using some HO Detail West castings for measurements. I think they would be pretty easy to make with styrene once I figure out the flat shape or pattern. I have been experimenting with paper patterns using trial and error, it seems pretty do-able.

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/18 12:12 by rnb3.

Date: 05/18/18 13:50
Author: fbe

Thanks, Rick. This is for a friend so it is all unfamiliar territory. I accidentally stumbled into Des Plaines Hobbies web site and saw one snowplow pilot listed but no photo available.

I remember learning how to draw actual true shape drawings in college freshman drafting class. It was a lot of fun but a lot of work if the items had curved or reverse curve shapes to work with.

I went to an intro 3D printing class in the small city library on Wednesday evening. The library has a 3D laser scanner which could scan your HO plow. Then the dimensions could be enlarged for the printer. It might take 45" to print it and the charge is 5 cents per oz of material.

Good luck.

Alan

Date: 05/18/18 14:26
Author: rnb3

Alan,

I recognize that prototype plows are made from plate steel, cut, rolled, and welded together. I figure I could do it the same way in scale using styrene. Once I get my flat shape figured out, I could make these for pennies!

Here is an example of my thought process as I test the shape using paper. Once I am satisfied, I'll make a rigid template for the flat pattern(s). The bracing on the rear and the fittings around the drawbar and doors need to be tested for shape also and have patterns made as well. The final models could easily be made from brass also, just takes a little more time.

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 05/18/18 15:16
Author: KM-ML4000

at one time PSC had some O scale snow plows........

Date: 05/18/18 15:19
Author: alamedafrank

Look on EBAY! I see brass "O" Scale plows all the time on there; They run about $15. Frank

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.05 seconds