Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Model Railroading > DC voltage vs AC voltage, re: DCC

Date: 05/19/18 13:18
DC voltage vs AC voltage, re: DCC
Author: pilotblue

Hey Gang,

I need an electrical question answered. It makes my head hurt to think about OHMs law, I can only memorize it long enough to pass a test, soon as I leave the classroom, it leaves my head.

I am operating an N scale layout using the EasyDCC system. I have set the DC power supply to the lowest setting (15 volts). I get 15 volts AC using a test meter to the rails. The Kato locomotives I use state 12DC max.

Am I good to go without harming the locomotives? I use TCS decoders.

Thanks for doing the hard thinking for me. I used to run into burning buildings for a living so my head is wired differently (no pun intended, well, maybe)

Date: 05/19/18 15:01
Re: DC voltage vs AC voltage, re: DCC
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Did the Kato engine come with a DCC decoder? If so, not sure why the 12 VDC statement
as track power is AC - 12-16 volts is typical. If is was a standard DC engine and you added
the decoder, then the 12 VDC comment is moot. My home Easy DCC system puts out 14.8 volts AC
and no problems with my motors, but all my equipment is HO scale,not N scale.

Date: 05/19/18 15:07
Author: pilotblue

Hey Murph,

Thanks for the reply. The 12v DC max is stated on the package for locomotive. I installed the decoders (TCS), myself. They run great, quiet, smooth as you would expect. I know that AC allows motors to run cooler but I wanted to make sure that 15 volts allowed by the EasyDCC system is safe for N scale longterm. Just switched to N scale and wanted to make sure I was starting out on the right foot.

Date: 05/19/18 16:49
Author: ESPEE5318

It is a non issue, don't worry about it...

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/20/18 06:46
Author: Larry020

Your locomotives are not getting electricity directly from the rails, that’s why they have decoders.

Z scale engines run on eight volts. Z scale modelers use DCC. They don’t worry about it, and neither should you. Decoder designers have thought this out so you don’t have to.

ʎɹɹɐ˥

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds