Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Model Railroading > A couple bulk cement trucks

Date: 05/19/18 16:36
A couple bulk cement trucks
Author: andrewcastle

I guess I haven't posted anything in a while, I have been working away at a few projects but haven't bothered to take any pictures or share anything.

Today we have two models that have been on my mind literally for years and finally got started just over a year ago. My layout features the Lafarge cement plant in Brookfield NS Canada where both trucks and train cars share the same loading area. As I also enjoy building truck models I wanted a couple of bulk cement trucks for the layout.

Most of the cement trucked out of Brookfield is hauled by Albany Cartage, also based in Brookfield. During the late 1990s when I model Lafarge was in the process of changing over from the old Canada Cement logo with Lafarge Canada lettering to the green and black Lafarge logo we see today. At the same time many trucking companies in Nova Scotia were switching from tri-axle trailers with a lift axle near the center of the trailer to tridem trailers with even axle spacing.

My goal was to model two of Albany Cartage's Volvo day cab tractors along with a tri-axle dry bulk trailer with the older lettering and a tridem trailer with the new Lafarge logo. For those who know the area and know trucks these two models help tell the story of my layout. The problem with all of this was no models were available of a 1990s Volvo tractor or the style of dry bulk trailer I needed.

About a year and a half ago I found a resin kit for a late 1990s Volvo tractor with a sleeper. It was time to get the project underway! I cut a cab down to a day cab for a master and cast a couple of new resin cabs for my tractors. At the same time I started scratchbuilding a master for the tank on the dry bulk trailers.

The tractors are resin cabs on Herpa chassis, the trailers are my resin bodies with the other parts built from styrene and brass. I did the decal artwork myself and had it printed by Bill at PDC.ca.

While I lost track of the hours what went into this project I couldn't be happier with the end results. Thanks for following along, I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Andrew C

Date: 05/19/18 16:38
Re: A couple bulk cement trucks

Two more photos. Resin cabs mounted on the tractor frames, still some parts to add on the tractors. The trailers are ready for paint.

Andrew C

Date: 05/19/18 17:15
Author: Mautner

Excellent models !

Mike Mautner
Maryland Hts., MO

Date: 05/19/18 17:45
Author: icancmp193

Very nice work and I'm sure you have countless hours involved!

TJY

Date: 05/19/18 17:51
Author: 1019X

Excellent work. I wonder when one of the manufacturers will come out with some North American style bulk trailers for those of us without your skills.

Date: 05/19/18 19:20
Author: Setandcentered

These are great! Nice job.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/19/18 19:47
Author: Santafes95

Those are fantastic. I have been waiting for someone to do those realistically for years. You need to sell your models or resin molds to someone to put out on the market. Great job.

Date: 05/19/18 20:25
Author: tracklight

Great looking Volvos!

Date: 05/20/18 03:36
Author: mkerner

1019X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excellent work. I wonder when one of the
> manufacturers will come out with some North
> American style bulk trailers for those of us
> without your skills.
Check out Shapeways they have several versions of dry bulk trailers.
Michael t Kerner
Collinsville, IL

Posted from Android

Date: 05/20/18 04:32
Author: acltrainman

Great looking trucks and work. Thanks for sharing.

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

Date: 05/20/18 07:27

Thanks for the compliments!

Andrew

Date: 05/20/18 17:45
Author: icancmp193

1019X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excellent work. I wonder when one of the
> manufacturers will come out with some North
> American style bulk trailers for those of us
> without your skills.

Sheepscot Scale Models has done some early bulk cement trailers - Urethane bodies, styrene frame and metal wheels.

TJY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds