Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Model Railroading > A Video of an HO WJRVP at GSMRM

Date: 05/28/18 21:57
A Video of an HO WJRVP at GSMRM
Author: Larry020

Here’s just one of the trains that the public saw Sunday in Point Richmond, California. The Museum http://www.gsmrm.org/ is open and running a variety of trains in O, N, and HO, every Sunday afternoon from 12-5, April through the end of December each year. We’re (sometimes) less than a 30 minute drive from San Francisco. Driving to San Francisco first is purely optional.

The Southern Pacific ran multiple sections of one hundred car reefer trains full of fresh fruits and vegetables for markets outside of California from the Salinas Valley. The train symbol I am most familiar with (since I started railfanning in early 1981) was the (WJRVP) Watsonville Junction to RoseVille Perishables.

GSMRM refers to the Golden State Model Railroad Museum, our host. The layouts are worked on and operated by the members of the East Bay Model Engineers Society, established in April of 1933. If you’re local, PM me for details about membership.

ʎɹɹɐ˥

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/29/18 05:05
Re: A Video of an HO WJRVP at GSMRM
Author: SPDRGWfan

Madness. Reefer madness!

Depending on routing, those reefer trains may have passed through Davis although I don't recall every seeing trains like that east-west through town.

But I was just a teen when trains like the one show here ran and I mostly saw what passed by on the west valley line going north through Woodland CA. Nice colorful train.

Cheers, ɯᴉſ

Date: 05/29/18 06:15
Author: bluesboyst

Must be the Salad Bowl Express....

Date: 05/29/18 06:43
Author: WAF

Pretty clean cars. All the ones I saw were pretty dirty

Date: 05/29/18 06:47

WAF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pretty clean cars. All the ones I saw were pretty
> dirty

My eyes!!!! I noticed that too, but since most of my models are not approprately weathered, I live in the proverbial glass house.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 05/29/18 10:14
Author: SP4360

Nice train, but that stop definitely knocked over the conductor's coffee cup lol

Date: 05/29/18 11:55
Author: DynamicBrake

Real nice video of a really nice looking layout. Those tunnel motors need some serious weathering though. Thanks for sharing. Wish I lived closer so I could check your club out.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 05/29/18 13:16
Author: ChrisCampi

Pretty cool stuff.

Date: 05/29/18 13:47

Also I don't think The SP used many of those UP cars in that paint scheme. They had plenty of the SPFE/UPFE in orange

Date: 05/29/18 19:36
Author: dgraves

While the PFE cars were not squeaky clean, they certainly looked a lot better than most of today's freight cars.

Date: 05/29/18 23:10
Author: Fizzboy7

Very nice representation of SP's later reefer trains! Hope to see more of your work in the future.

Jason Eminian
Smith Brothers Hobby Center

Date: 05/31/18 04:32
Author: funnelfan

Well that was a rather sudden stop! I hope the conductor and rear brakeman are alright.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/31/18 09:48
Author: dmaffei

Was that a loop tape?
Need some Donner tunnel grime on those "R" block cars. That was DEFIANTLY an Emergency stop. Thanks Larry

Date: 05/31/18 09:48

funnelfan Wrote:
> Well that was a rather sudden stop! I hope the
> conductor and rear brakeman are alright.

Isn't that why SP used bay window cabooses? It's a long drop from the elevated cupola seats in the other type of cabooses.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 05/31/18 23:41
Author: atsf121

That is a great looking train. I remember the reefer cars as a kid, but don't remember them in a solid train. When did that business dry up for the SP? I even remember seeing the ATSF reefers in the Central Valley around Bakersfield, but then those seem to have disappeared in the late 80's or early 90's.

Nathan

Date: 06/01/18 07:14

atsf121 Wrote:
> That is a great looking train. I remember the
> reefer cars as a kid, but don't remember them in a
> solid train. When did that business dry up for
> the SP? I even remember seeing the ATSF reefers
> in the Central Valley around Bakersfield, but then
> those seem to have disappeared in the late 80's or
> early 90's.
>
> Nathan

Stopped running dedicated perishable trains in the mid eighties

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0513 seconds