Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Model Railroading > MNX Pepper Packing meat reefers

Date: 06/19/18 18:31
MNX Pepper Packing meat reefers
Author: ACL3042

These photos were taken in Kansas. They were taken either in 1973 or 1974. The railroads were getting hard up. A lot of the MNX meat reefers were changed over to grain service. Some railroads even loaded open top hoppers using gunny sacks to keep the grain falling out the bottom of the cars.

Pepper Packing was based out of Denver, Colorado. The top photo shows part of a Needham Packing reefer.

Now you can use your old meat reefers spotted at your grain elevator. You have to do a lot of things getting your grain traffic moving on your railroad.

You see different types of cars can be spotted at different industries.

Gary

Date: 06/19/18 19:16
Re: MNX Pepper Packing meat reefers
Author: MrMRL

Neat paint job. Anyone know if this has been offered in model form in the past?

Mr. MRL

Date: 06/19/18 19:26
Author: ACL3042

I am not sure, but I am thinking that Train Minatures did this model.

Again, I am not sure but I am thinking that Intermountain did the Pepper Packing and Needham Packing cars.

I know some one produced these cars within the past ten years. I wish that I was more help on this. It is hell getting old!!!

Gary

Date: 06/19/18 20:30
Author: NS7214

far from my era but rather interesting
-DJS

Date: 06/20/18 04:31
Author: SPDRGWfan

MrMRL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neat paint job. Anyone know if this has been
> offered in model form in the past?
>
>
> Mr. MRL

Intermountain has done a similar car, several times as RTR. I picked one up at a train show a few years ago at a close-out price. The door appears to be an earlier different type.

https://www.intermountain-railway.com/ho/html/45538.htm

Cheers, Jim

Date: 06/21/18 02:55
Author: Larry020

Searching completed auctions shows that a TMI car sold on April 15th for a little over $10 with shipping. On June 10th an I-M car sold for a little more than that, but as Jim pointed out, the door is distinctly different than the TMI car, or the photo shown in this thread. Both had roofwalks. Nothing currently available for bid.

ʎɹɹɐ˥

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds