Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Model Railroading > Sheetrock uses???

Date: 09/05/02 08:04
Sheetrock uses???
Author: vasouthern

OK call me Mr tightwad but I am cleaning up the scrap sheetrock from my new house ( had to build the wife a house to get MY basement ) and cant help but wonder about using it for the layout somewhere...

Any uses for scrap sheetrock? I peeled the paper off some years ago and made some carvings, turned out good for a rock wall, just had to be careful, it wanted to crack....

Sideways rocks would have the paper ( not like ceiling tiles )

Any other ideas on use??????

I have lots of 3 inch wide strips...

Randy

Date: 09/05/02 13:06
Re: Sheetrock uses???
Author: fbe

How about freight car weights? That would be messy account you would have to cut the 3" strips into lots of small chunks.

Date: 09/05/02 13:36
Author: fredt

Grind it up and put a in gyp mine.
Surface texture of the paper should be about right for concrete, could be used as bases for buildings and painted gray.
1/2 inch thick would be 43 inches HO scale, could use as loading dock.

Date: 09/08/02 11:32
Author: gn400

I figure you will all think I am nuts, but I with members of our operating group built my ENTIRE layout with plywood framing and sheetrock sub-roadbed. The plywood is spaced on 16" centers, assembled using both nails and polyurethane construction adhesive. The sheetrock is attached using the same adhesive and a few screws.
The advantages to using sheetrock is low cost, and is it ever quiet. It also holds spikes well.
Before laying track the entire layout was primed with a good quality primer and painted with a brown latex paint (two coats). The layout as received many complements regarding its construction.

Date: 09/08/02 23:03
Author: rossweisl

marbal make diff suzed hunks take dog brush wet the steel brissls and tap to make it looklike drill marks

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0334 seconds