Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Model Railroading > Tangent Scale Models: GATC 4180 Airslide Covered Hopper

Date: 07/26/18 12:06
Tangent Scale Models: GATC 4180 Airslide Covered Hopper
Author: TangentScaleModels

Live from St. Louis RPM in Collinsville IL: Tangent Scale Models is pleased to announce the availability today of new paint schemes for our HO Scale General American 4180 “Airslide” covered hopper.  First released by Tangent in 2015, our GATC 4180 Airslide covered hopper continues our industry-leading focus on beautiful detailing, consistent colors and stenciling, excellent operating abilities, and phase detailing.  When you factor in the quality of detailing and execution out of the box against your modeling time, Tangent provides a better value than train set alternatives that have fewer parts and missing stencil markings. 

Our July 2018 production of General American 4180 covered hoppers includes FIVE all-new RTR paint schemes – plus undec kit options so you can “build your own masterpiece.”

Check them out now at www.tangentscalemodels.com :

BNSF "Buffer Car" #5 (Car #808051) is Tangent’s fifth BNSF Buffer car in the series.  This car mimics a former BNSF revenue service Airslide car patched for present-day oil train buffer car service.  An incredible amount of small data is printed on this car, including roof anti-skid patches, faded BNSF logos, truck lettering and of course, conspicuity stripes.  This car scheme is available in one number, to match the exact prototype.  Do not miss out on this car!

BNSF "Buffer Car" #6 (Car #808176) is Tangent’s sixth BNSF Buffer car in the series.  This time, one of the former 1974-built BN Green cars was patched for the present day.  The lettering tells a story – from the car’s 1985 repaint into its second coat of BN green, to its Polyclutch relining by Metro East Industries in 1996, and now today’s use in BNSF Buffer car service.  This car is all about the layers of lettering and is available in one number to match the prototype.  This car will sell fast.

BNSF "2005+ Repaint" (Car #400679) throws some love to a modern-era BNSF Airslide scheme – a car that is not in buffer but in revenue service.  We wanted to duplicate every single piece of lettering possible here.  Check out the variation of the anti-skid roof patches, the roof “Caution” lettering, and conspicuity stripes.  Truck reporting marks finish off this classy modern scheme, available in one number to match the prototype.

BKTY "Original Red 1966" represents the first order of 4180 Airslides rostered by the Missouri Kansas & Texas.  Classic Barriger-era red paint and the correct high brake wheel Tangent body style are used for this replica.  Look closely – the SP H-100-13 car class is there, as these were leased through SP financing and the Commonwealth Plan.  Also, check out our hand-drawn stenciling here, because it is unparalleled by any other brand in accuracy.  A classic sharp scheme, available in 4 accurate numbers.

NAHX "Staley 1967" shows off a North American Car Co Leasing scheme.  Originally built in 1965, NACC painted the car in Texarkana, Arkansas in 1967 in the distinctive Staley antique white airslide color.  Another great example of the relevant, high-brake wheel Tangent body style not available from any other brand.  Little things like the distinctive NACC-style stencils and serial numbers finish off our Staley offering.  Available in 2 prototypically correct numbers.

The Tangent Scale Models GATC 4180s are shipping NOW.
See https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/general-american-4180-airslide-covered-hopper/ for photos and more.

Features for our replicas include:

- Dimensional accuracy - designed from actual General American plans and verified with field measurements
- Highly correct “true to life” colors
- “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
- Genuine Kadee® scale couplers
- “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
- Multiple road numbers for each scheme
- “See through” etched metal running boards
- A series of various spotting variations that replicate cars from General American’s prolific 1965-1980 production period, including different roofs, running boards, body side post (“rib”) profiles, high and low brake arrangements on the B end, different ladder and grab iron arrangements, with or without crossover platforms and handrails, etc.  Sell off the toy trains and save your time - we do freight cars right
- Lacy details installed and painted - wire grab irons and coupler lift bars
- Separate air hoses
- CNC-machined 36” wheels in high quality Tangent Scale Models trucks, with semi-scale wheels available separately
- Recommended age 14 years and older

Do not miss out on the Tangent Scale Models General American 4180 Airslide covered hopper, one of the most sought-after freight cars from the turbulent 1960s-1970s period, done right with phase variations!  Pricing for RTR models is $44.95

Thank you for continuing to support Tangent Scale Models, a family-owned and operated company!

David Lehlbach
Tangent Scale Models
“Unparalleled scale replicas for discriminating railroad modelers”

Date: 07/26/18 12:07
Re: Tangent Scale Models: GATC 4180 Airslide Covered Hopper

Thank you to Trainorders.com for allowing us to post!

Date: 07/26/18 12:15
Author: march_hare

Great looking car.

Can anybody tell me what lading the Staley car would have been used for?  I have vague memories of seeing cars like that in service, but there's not enough detail left in my brain as to where and when I saw it.

Date: 07/26/18 12:34
Author: icancmp193

Staley is a YUGGGEEE name in soybeans, so I would suspect they could be involved.

TJY

Date: 07/26/18 13:05
Author: toledopatch

icancmp193 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Staley is a YUGGGEEE name in soybeans, so I would
> suspect they could be involved.

Also big in corn processing. Like competitors ADM and Cargill (among others), they're huge producers of corn sweeteners.

Since Airslides were designed for powdered commodities, I'd think some sort of flour or meal would be likely for the Staley Airslide cars.

Meanwhile, to me the most entertaining detail on any of these cars is the upside-down MW stencil on the buffers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/18 13:06 by toledopatch.

Date: 07/26/18 13:57

The Staley hoppers likely hauled corn meal or corn starch.

Best wishes,

David Lehlbach
Tangent Scale Models

Date: 07/26/18 15:14
Author: MrMRL

Order submitted for the BN patch. Thanks Tangent!

Mr. MRL

Date: 07/26/18 16:45
Author: retcsxcfm

WHAT? Blackened wheels!
I don't believe it!
All you other importers,take note.
I HATE shiny wheels.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 07/26/18 17:22
Author: hartrick24

Any plans in the future for a second run of Michigan Elevator Exchange?

Thank you 
Steve H...

Date: 07/26/18 18:19
Author: toledopatch

hartrick24 Wrote:
> Any plans in the future for a second run of
> Michigan Elevator Exchange?
>

That was a different type of car.

Date: 07/26/18 18:56
RE: Tangent Scale Models: GATC 4180 Airslide Covered Hopper
Author: 4400horsepower

Got two ordered for me also..... Tangent models are awesome!

Brian
Burlington, IA

Posted from Android

Date: 07/26/18 20:54
Re: RE: Tangent Scale Models: GATC 4180 Airslide Covered Hopper
Author: winstonhill

You cqn find Staley's starch in the grocery store (or at least you used to be able to--haven't looked for it recently, as I don't starch my clothes any more).

Winston Hill

Date: 07/26/18 21:29
Author: sixaxlecentury

The shelf couplers are a nice touch!

Are we ever going to see plain jane GACX cars, that DONT have sub lettering?  

Date: 07/27/18 04:00
Author: SPDRGWfan

Another group of fine looking Tangent Airslides, and the more modern folks should love the buffer and BNSF versions.  I still need to get caught up on the SSW and UP cars from the previous run.  But David, fear not, my budget went to 6 more Rio Grande 4740 hoppers I managed to find from the original run.

Keep up the great work!
Cheers, Jim

Date: 07/27/18 04:40
Author: hartrick24

toledopatch Wrote:
> hartrick24 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Any plans in the future for a second run of
> > Michigan Elevator Exchange?
> >
>
> That was a different type of car.

I know toledopatch, just thought I'd add it in...

Steve H...

Date: 07/27/18 07:47
Author: march_hare

OK, Tangent, you got a sale for the staley car.  (Thank your quick customer service response for that!)

BTW, I've been buying your cars from the get go, generally whatever you have with you when you're at Springfield each January.  What I hadn't done was visit your web site.  I really LOVE the fact that you discuss the use, lading, and pooling arrangements for specific classes of cars.  I think that adds a lot to the ownership and use of these premium products.

WELL DONE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/18 11:44 by march_hare.

Date: 08/01/18 15:53
RE: Tangent Scale Models: GATC 4180 Airslide Covered Hopper
Author: 4400horsepower

Got my two today, sweet looking models.... can't wait to give them a run..

Brian
Burlington, IA

Date: 08/02/18 22:59
Author: MrMRL

BN/BNSF buffer arrived in mint condition... it won’t stay that way for long. Can’t wait to beat it up (tastefully).

Mr. MRL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0715 seconds