Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Model Railroading > kitbashing a bachmann berkshire question. Removing number boards?

Date: 08/06/18 15:40
kitbashing a bachmann berkshire question. Removing number boards?
Author: steam290

I am kitbashing a bachmann berkshire and painting it for my freelanced home road, the Bluefield and Allegheny Central.  I am basing the kitbashing styling on the late Bill Purdie's Southernizing of C&O 2716, but lettered for Bluefield instead.  The only chanlenging thing I need to do for starters is remove the smokebox mounted number boards.  Does anyone have any suggestion for how to do this safely without doing too much damage?  I think they are cast as one piece with the smokebox front, but it seems my best bet would be carfully carving them off with a hoby knife.  I also would eventually want to replace the pilot with a southern style pilot, but that seems a bit more straight forward.

Date: 08/06/18 16:27
Re: kitbashing a bachmann berkshire question. Removing number boa
Author: sarailfan

I don't have a Berk, but I would pull the boiler shell off before attempting to carve them off, and check if they're glued from the inside. If they are, drill or carve from the inside to reduce the chances of damaging the exterior, then fill the holes from the inside and sand smooth.

Posted from Android

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 08/07/18 12:08
Re: kitbashing a bachmann berkshire question. Removing number boa
Author: steam290

Thanks! That sounds like a solid plan.  The look like they are attached, but it sure would be nice if there was a better way.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0317 seconds