Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Model Railroading > One project or many at once

Date: 10/09/18 07:56
One project or many at once
Author: Santafes95

I posted pictures of the center beam flatcars that I was working on last week. I used thread as cable and wired in three loads on loaded cars and ran the wires on three empty cars. I will finish the last car sometime today. I cannot seem to move to the next project on the workbench until I finish this project. Just curious. Are you the type that has many projects going at once or do yo like to start and finish a project? This is about projects on the workbench not on your layout.

Date: 10/09/18 08:25
Re: One project or many at once
Author: cabman

Definitely one project at a time...I'm not a multitasker like my wife!

Date: 10/09/18 10:25
Author: BNModeler

Many at one time

Date: 10/09/18 11:09
Author: TCnR

For me it's one project at a time if I want to make serious progress, however I often build a couple or three of the same model at the same time.

One counterpoint is the availibility of special parts for the project. Whether it's a cast resin shell, or the frame for it, or even a trick method for adding weight to a flat car which puts a project on the shelf for months or more. In that case other projects wander onto the bench ujntil a fix presents itself.

Date: 10/09/18 11:11
Author: sarailfan

I often have multiple projects going at once, allows me to do some in one medium and switch to another, or let glue dry on one while continuing to work on something.

Posted from Android

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 10/09/18 12:18
Author: ts1457

One or several does not matter.

The question is do you have a stockpile of kits and other projects that you possibly can't finish in five lifetimes, but you keep buying more?

Jack

Date: 10/09/18 14:17
Author: icancmp193

Many projects, so while the glue or paint dries on one, you can hit one of the others for a while. And yes I have too many kits!

TJY

Date: 10/09/18 14:55
Author: NSTopHat

ts1457 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One or several does not matter.
>
> The question is do you have a stockpile of kits
> and other projects that you possibly can't finish
> in five lifetimes, but you keep buying more?
>
> Jack

YES!

Date: 10/09/18 15:41
Author: bn4180

I have many projects going at once.  Some I may not return to for a long while.  I will (try to) stop starting new models when I can't remember all the stuff I
have 'in process'.  
I try to build at least two of the same or similar models at a time, because the chance of me returning to a project after one's finished is very slim.
I don't take in work for others anymore, so I have no deadlines just the ones I set for myself ( a run session or an RPM meet ). 
I just do what I'll enjoy at the time.  If that means chisel that extra battery box hinge off the fireman's side of a Proto GP30 or sit at the workbench and stare then that's what I'm going to do. 
I may start a new one tonite and finish two this weekend-It's time spent modeling, it's all good.

Tom Bacarella

Date: 10/09/18 22:39
Author: Stottman

Yes!

Last 3  years, my outlet has been finally building, decaling and weathering all the freight car projects that I have collected. 

I was doing one at a time, but the in 2017 and 18, I started doing them in batches. Basically all the similar cars all at once. 

While paint, glue, decals dry, or I am waiting on an order of decals, or parts, etc , I can just move onto the next item in the assembly line. 

Here is 2018s project board. Last year I did about 15 57' Mech Reefers. 

Date: 10/10/18 04:00
Author: VunderBob

I guess I'm a serial multitasker. I can have a small number of projects going, but only one is going to get attention at a time. I'll shift gears to something else when I get bored, then eventually come back and finish.

Date: 10/10/18 04:18
Author: atsf121

Many at least once, and my house and yard projects are the same way which drives my wife nuts.  I really should just focus on getting one done and then move on.  Between that bad habit and kids, I haven't gotten anything done on my layout lately.  

Nathan

Date: 10/10/18 06:24
Author: binder001

ts1457 Wrote:
>
>
> Jack

Guilty as charged your honor!  My model work benches and parts of my layout are littered with unfinished projects.  One excuse is waiting for parts/decals, otherwise I indulge my whims of "what do I want to work on today".  After all, it's a hobby.  I spent 45 years being organized for my employer, now I can be disorganized for me :-)

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 10/10/18 07:09
Author: hoggerdoug

Just mix all the parts from all the projects, then all you have is one project. Simple.
Doug

Date: 10/10/18 07:59
Author: Santafes95

Some great answers. I don't think one is better then the other and I like the statment that it is just a hobby and you get to do it when you want to and the way you want to. What is fun about model railroading,and many of you agreed, there is always some project to work on.

Date: 10/10/18 08:03
Author: jkchubbes

I wish I could do one project at a time, probably finish more that way. Instead I always have 3 or 4 projects at different stages. It seems that whenever I run out of a certain supply or detail I will move onto another project until I order what I need. One day I hope to have a workbench that I can keep all my stuff organized and stocked up.

Date: 10/10/18 13:56
Author: GN_X838

My two main projects are a flatcar and caboose as one unit. At
the same time I'am working on a backup light and FRED..........
...............Swede..............Albony,Or............................................

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/18 13:58 by GN_X838.

Date: 10/10/18 22:06
Author: Stottman

I have found that one of the most common reasons for a project to stall was the lack of parts or decals.. When you don't have a well stocked hobby shop near you, and it can take 2 weeks for parts to arrive, then you loose the momentum. Which is why I switched to the batch production. 

Date: 10/14/18 13:30
Author: navarch2

Absolutely many at a time....that is how I leanred to design ships.....simultaneous, iterative development. 

Jusrt look at the pictures I am about to post...lolol

Bob

Date: 10/14/18 13:32
Author: navarch2

ts1457 Wrote:
>
>
> Jack

Oh yes....I like to have variety when considering what to tackle next. 

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0837 seconds