Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Model Railroading > Making the fascia part of the scenery?

Date: 10/15/18 20:47
Making the fascia part of the scenery?
Author: steam290

I have been playing with the idea of making my fascia blend into my railroad almost as a part of the scene. In some places I would make it look like a retaining wall, and other places I would make it look like a rock cliff etc... I know it has been done, but it is not done often. My reason for doing this would be to improve photographic possibilities within the layout. Too often I find myself having to crop a photo a certain way so you can’t see the fascia. Of course, this method would not work everywhere on the layout, but it might be interesting to see how I can make it work. If it weren’t a multi-deck layout, I’d do floor to ceiling scenery like John Allen’s Gorre and Daphetid, but unfortunately it is a multi-deck and I don’t have the necessary space anyway. Thoughts or opinions on the subject? Has anyone tried this? If it’s a bad idea, I’d like to learn from others mistakes.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/15/18 21:18
Re: Making the fascia part of the scenery?
Author: bearease

There was an article in a recent (?) Model Railroader about building a removable shelf with scenery on it to be used as foreground for photography.
That, plus your retaining wall idea might work pretty well. I'll see if I can find that issue.

Date: 10/15/18 21:41
Author: Larry020

A rather thought provoking idea.  While considering your question it occurred to be that you could use a color not used on the railroad and eliminate the facia post production like they do on the tv when we’re watching the cute weather girl point at the map that isn’t there. 

ʎɹɹɐ˥

Date: 10/16/18 03:53
Author: BlackWidow

I got my Great Model Railroads 2019 the other day, and on page 34, there is an article about someone who did just what you describe.

Date: 10/16/18 04:23
Author: steam290

That is all very interesting. Yes, I did see that model railroad article! That’s a pretty good idea. I did see a picture one time where someone contended down with a rock face. I’m thinking retaining wall might be good, at least for some spots, as you could technically spread Sheetrock mud on the fascia and then carve brick or stone pattern into it. It’s cheap and fairly easy. A bit time consuming, but what in our hobby isn’t? It could then be stained or painted gray.

Another idea I had that wouldn’t help with photos but would be a creative framing idea for the layout was to simply paint the fascia a weathered black color, possibly adding fake rust stains and rivets. It would kind of look like the side of a tender or something. Either way, it becomes part of the “art” of the model, instead of just a necessary border.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/16/18 17:35
Author: wabash2800

IIRC, Linn Westcott carried it to a extreme on at least one of his layouts. He did a cross section of the earth with its layers and strata, etc. IMO, that might be interesting with a mine but just in general no. But you must give him credit for his creativity and willningness to try new things. We owe a lot to him for inspiring many of us in the hobby.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/18 17:41 by wabash2800.

Date: 10/29/18 05:57
Author: calsubd

Sorry it took 2 weeks to get the camera to the layout but here is what 1 of our members did to the layout, BTW it's still in the building stage so might be untidy in spots, hope it helps, I think it adds to it myself.

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0834 seconds