Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Model Railroading > CP 173 Layout Diagram - 2018 Penn Central

Date: 10/16/18 11:18
CP 173 Layout Diagram - 2018 Penn Central
Author: navarch2

So here is a track diagram of CP173 to show the redesign and the most recent addition which I will add tonight. 

I wanted to make some hot metal traffic between the main Adirrondack Specialty Steel integrated mill, and an outlying recent consumer of hot metal - in this case a casting operation , SO I purcahsed a few more rolling mill kits to kitbach into a casting operation, allowing for some movements of bottle or ladle cars between the main works and the subsidiary operation.  We can actually get 2 way tradffic as some rough castings will need to be moved back to the main mill for finishing.

Bob

Date: 10/16/18 11:21
Re: CP 173 Layout Diagram - 2018 Penn Central

As always I apologize for me engineer two finger typing....I really CAN spell...my fingers do not always land,  however, on the correct keys.. :(  The nuns who taught typing in my senior high school  elective class would be appalled....  I neglected to mention the role of color in that track diagram. I eventually created  track plarity key plan for the entire railroad. It was a huge help in locating potential issues with shorts and helping wire the three reversing sections on the railroad, all of which are shown in part on this drawing. red lines show one polarity; red alongside green shows PC trackage and blue alongside red is incative of D&H trackage. The green or blue is of course, the opposite wire to the red, electrically.  Reversing sections, are shown with two red rails. In all cases these sections can reverse entiire trains.  Hope this helps you to understand what is happening a bit better. 

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/18 11:31 by navarch2.

Date: 10/16/18 11:30
Author: BCutter

And if your nuns were anything like those in Milford's parochial school in the early 60s, your fingers and hands would be bleeding from being smacked with the ruler for those misteaks -- er -- miss takes -- um -- mistakes! BruceClass of 1962 -- Milford MA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/18 17:58 by BCutter.

Date: 10/16/18 11:35

BCutter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And if your nuns were anyhting like those in
> Milford's parochial school in the early 60s, your
> fingers and hands would be bleeding from being
> smacked with the ruler for those misteaks -- er --
> miss takes -- um -- mistakes! BruceClass of 1962
> -- Milford MA

Well, I live in Bellingham, and I moved here in 73....but I can tell you that the nuns at Catholic Central in Troy, NY were part of the most inapproprately named group of people in history...the "Sisters of Mercy"...:) 

Bob  - class of 1970 :)

Date: 10/16/18 11:41

Here by the way, is a picture of the drawing that will add the casting industry benchwork to the layout....

Bob :)

Date: 10/16/18 14:02
Author: SeaboardMan

I have a question Bob.  The D&H coming from the lower right splits into two tracks before the diamonds, then back to one.  Is there enough room for a train on either side of the diamonds?  Otherwise it seems you would be blocking the PC if it's used as a passing siding.
Thanks and it looks like a terrific layout.
john

Date: 10/20/18 20:28

Hi John,
I have toi apologize - the track layout on the D&H side had been pretty heavily modified from what you see there - here are some pictures of the reality of the track layout....
 Picture 1 - We see a short train sitting on the D&H siding...This track can be used by either D&H or PC trains to make pickups on. It can handle 20 cars and 3 x 6 axle units between fouling points (55' cars) 

Picture 2  - Shows the end of the main and siding that leads into the D&H yard and the #2 helix track. WAY off in the distance you can see a passenger train temporarily stored on the helix lead.

Picture 3 - A freshly painted PC SD70MAC - painted in DGLE and black.....fresh out of major decal work - yellow sill stripe and various hood lables yet to go.....

Bob

SeaboardMan Wrote:
> I have a question Bob.  The D&H coming from the
> lower right splits into two tracks before the
> diamonds, then back to one.  Is there enough room
> for a train on either side of the diamonds?
>  Otherwise it seems you would be blocking the PC
> if it's used as a passing siding.
> Thanks and it looks like a terrific layout.
> john

Date: 10/21/18 10:22
Author: fbe

I would hate to be on the local crews trying to service the industries trying to dodge all the multiple mainline traffic while making the long shoves and spots needed to get started and move on to the next industry.

Pack a big lunch there might be lots of down time.

Date: 10/22/18 10:10

Well, there are no industries switched off any of those tracks....all the track you see is one of three things....either the D&H main, the PC main, or the intermomodal yard which is off the main. 

The steel casting plant is wholly off the main, with an  11 foot long lead into it.plus a internal run-around so you never have to foul the main to work it..... , and the two interchange tracks are also  full cut drops - no different than you use to see at places like Framingham, Ma, Worcester, or Mechanicville NY...no one in that area has toi work an industrial siding off the main line. On top of that, you also have places where there is industry off the main line or branches but no long cuts are involved..and in all cases the mainline is always double track. ..

Bob

fbe Wrote:
> I would hate to be on the local crews trying to
> service the industries trying to dodge all the
> multiple mainline traffic while making the long
> shoves and spots needed to get started and move on
> to the next industry.
>
> Pack a big lunch there might be lots of down time.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0572 seconds