Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Model Railroading > comparison of ATSF GP7's

Date: 10/16/18 19:47
comparison of ATSF GP7's
Author: cabman

I just received my Walthers Proto Santa Fe passenger GP7 2651 in zebra stripes and I love it!  Thought it would be interesting to compare it to my Athearn Genesis zebra #2855 even though this isn't a passenger engine.  About the only thing missing on the torpedo tube model is the bell which is hidden under the front steps anyway..a very minor problem.  On the other hand, the Genesis model's shortcomings were as follows:  no perforated steps, oversized cab awnings, no blue on the logo, unlit number boards, glossy finish, no cab figures and lighter weight all  which Walthers had, including LED lighting.  Both are beautiful runners, but not together in DC. The Walthers model was about $20 more, but well worth it.  My dealer said they are already sold out in Milwaukee.

Date: 10/16/18 20:57
Re: comparison of ATSF GP7's
Author: Coast

A friend recently converted an Athearn Genesis GP7 to a torpedo boat. He ordered parts from Athearn and used the steam generator vent from a Proto 2000 E unit making additional castings out of resin.  

It may not be 100 percent but it is a nice model compared to the Walthers. The Walthers model is missing the vents on the short hood. The Santa Fe torpedo tubes were delivered without steam generators. They were later added from FT B units.  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/71509449@N07/albums/72157699158827201

Date: 10/17/18 10:37
Author: UPJeff

Couple of things - The Santa Fe had many different combinations of items, on the logo in the book Santa Fe in the Lone Star State by Steve Allen Goen page 32 clearly shows a black logo and not blue.  I would have to check references for a blue logo.  The cab awnings on the Athearn unit look right also according to the same photo.  I believe that the awnings may have been adjustable.  I do not believe that the Athearn is wrong and it is a fantastic model.  I have not seen the Walthers Santa Fe version so cannot really speak for it.

On the torpedo boat with steam generator added,  those have been in my store and he did a great job on them.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 10/17/18 11:49
Author: bioyans

As others have stated, check prototype reference materials before stating something is wrong with a model.  Page 126 of "The Santa Fe Diesel, Volume I" shows a color image of an ATSF passenger GP7, with no blue in the logo.  The logos apparently did vary a bit, in both style and placement.

Date: 10/17/18 15:53
Author: Coast

UPJeff Wrote:

>
> On the torpedo boat with steam generator added, 
> those have been in my store and he did a great job
> on them.
>
>
He posted a video on YouTube of his 2650 mid-consist. Search for Santa Fe Manifest of the Past - La Mesa Model Railroad Club 

Date: 10/18/18 08:35
Author: cabman

Thanks for all the informative responses to my original post.  I probably don't have the proper books, photos, etc to have made a valid comparison, but that's the reason why I posted... to get an education.  That's why my annual membership fee in TO is so valuable.  Thanks all! 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1126 seconds