Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Model Railroading > Livin' Large with wireless technology

Date: 11/29/18 18:14
Livin' Large with wireless technology
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Today I completed converting these two Alcos to operate with a wireless throttle, the trailing engine
consisted with the lead unit and both speed matched, which was a somewhat difficult process.  These
motors use golf cart motor controllers.  Anyway I was able to make it all work and today hauled 16 cars around the 
outdoor railroad.  Rails were wet and there was plenty of leaf-slippage, given that it is fall and the 30 acres
are all wooded with oak and pine.  I tried 24 cars at first, but the engine wheels slipped on the first grade out of the barn.

When we have an ops weekend, the wireless throttles vs. tethered throttles really come in handy, as we are on and off
the train all the time, switching cars in each town.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/29/18 20:19
Re: Livin' Large with wireless technology
Author: MojaveBill

Nice!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 11/29/18 21:12
Author: ChrisCampi

What kind of range do you have and is there a failsafe if the unit loses contact after a certain amount of time? I can see where wireless could be a huge convince. Great looking train. I find myself fascinated by this scale.

Date: 11/30/18 00:49
Author: DKay

Cool stuff Shane.This is one neat operation you folks have going there.
Regards,DK

Date: 11/30/18 05:30
Author: santafedan

Now you can do 1/8th scale bridges!

Date: 11/30/18 06:16

ChrisCampi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What kind of range do you have and is there a
> failsafe if the unit loses contact after a certain
> amount of time? I can see where wireless could be
> a huge convince. Great looking train. I find
> myself fascinated by this scale.

unobstructed, about 100 ft range

Losing communication, engine stops after about 5 seconds of no comm.

Date: 11/30/18 09:20
Author: BAB

OK now I understand, where is the room with TV, food, drinks and heat? How good is your reception on the monitor and how large is it?  Sounds like a great deal, are the switches remote along with the coupling? And does it have one button return home feature, you know like those auto vacuum things do? LOL great job as its not plug and play so took lots of time to speed match I bet.

Just had to do that, really tho am looking forward to more of that type of engine operation in this scale.  It is a real pain to get on and off to sort cars or cut them off. much easier the way you are doing it. One day will get my RMI speeder back up and running the same way but have some backshop items that come in front of that. Have watched Mike and Wendy do there remote switching and ballast dumping works great.  Now when are you coming up to TM and showing them off?  Will have you over for dinner if you do. Boyd at Train Mountain waiting for more snow.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/18 13:38 by BAB.

Date: 11/30/18 17:44

I had one of these at the Triennial.  You may recall we chatted when you were working over
at the K&W Depot.  It may be three more years before I return.

Date: 12/01/18 06:22
Author: BAB

Yes I do and am looking forward to your return always like your posts just had to jab you a little.  Was serious about the FPV cam tho but now have four inches of snow this morning so any railroading goes south until I get things in order here. Like those mu units nice to see pairs rather than single units all the time.  Boyd

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds