Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Model Railroading > USATC S118 steam engines - HO scale model?

Date: 12/02/18 11:29
USATC S118 steam engines - HO scale model?
Author: inCHI

Does anyone know if a model has been made of the US Army Transportation Corps S118 2-8-2 steam engine? This photo is an example of one in service in Iraq, they ended up in many countries both during and after WWII. I attached a photo from wikipedia of one in Greece. The very common USATC S160 2-8-0 has a model made by Roco that I'm working on getting, as my Dad worked alongside a pair of them at Fort Eustis, VA. I don't know much about steam so I'm wondering too if there is a 2-8-2 that has been made that is similar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/18 11:57 by inCHI.

Date: 12/02/18 17:34
Re: USATC S118 steam engines - HO scale model?
Author: Duna

With over 800 built during & after WWII (including some copies), this would seem to be a model-worthy locomotive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Transportation_Corps_class_S118

Photo was taken in Greece. If it were Iraq, likely we would have had to freedom bomb it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/18 17:44 by Duna.

Date: 12/02/18 18:02

Duna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Photo was taken in Greece. If it were Iraq, likely
> we would have had to freedom bomb it.

For clarity, the hyperlink shows the Iraqi example which looks more American. I included the wikipedia photo of the Greek prototype figuring theres no copyright issues with that. It is more European looking.

I do agree that with that quantity it seems like it could be made. I also was looking at the USATC S100 0-6-0 saddletank engine, which had 360~ prototypes, and has been made by Hornby/Rivarossi and REE Modeles.

Date: 12/02/18 18:10
Author: Duna

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Duna Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Photo was taken in Greece. If it were Iraq,
> likely
> > we would have had to freedom bomb it.
>
> For clarity, the hyperlink shows the Iraqi example
> which looks more American. I included the
> wikipedia photo of the Greek prototype figuring
> theres no copyright issues with that. It is more
> European looking.
>
> I do agree that with that quantity it seems like
> it could be made. I also was looking at the USATC
> S100 0-6-0 saddletank engine, which had 360~
> prototypes, and has been made by Hornby/Rivarossi
> and REE Modeles.

I couldn't see the link in your text 'til I hovered over it. Got it. They look "American" except for the low-ish cab. Were any standard-gauged? Manufacturers would be more likely to make them.

Date: 12/02/18 18:53

Curious question. It seems like it was made as a very flexible design that could work on 1,000mm or 1,067mm gauge and European loading guages, and I just realized that Iraqi and Greek units may have also been Metre Gauge or something like it, not standard guage. And even the examples now in the US look to be narrow gauge... I actually didn't realize that when posting. In the Wikipedia article, I do think this is incorrect: "S118 class were the most widespread of all the locomotives of WWII" as even among American steam exports I think the S160 2-8-0's were more plentiful, particularly because those seemed to be widely used in Europe itself and were standard gauge.

With diesels, I now know of several widespread engines that truly haven't been made that are remarkably versitale. The EMD G8, G12, G22, and G26 models are in dozens of countries on everything from metre gauge to standard to broad gauge, same goes for GE U20C's and similar GE and even Alco/MLW models.

Date: 12/02/18 20:04
Author: MojaveBill

The track could be meter guage and the cab is a bit large for standard guage.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 12/02/18 21:06
Author: miralomarail

Last week on E Bay someone had a HO Scale Broadway Model Co engine for sale and, a few months ago I saw a add for One made in Europe by Roco ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roco-72151-HO-USATC-S160-Rattlesnake-Steam-Locomotive-II-DCC-Sound/392133925704?epid=2175735052&hash=item5b4d00db48:g:d8YAAOSwcTlbsT5c:rk:52:pf:0

I just did a quick search on E Bay, this is one I saw for $495.00 , made by " ROCO "

Regards,
Tom Hirsch
Cherry Valley, Ca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/18 21:35 by miralomarail.

Date: 12/02/18 23:14
Author: RRBMail

Roco has been bombarded to make the Army 2-8-0 in Alaska Paint. They still have no such plans. Send them emails! 

Date: 12/03/18 06:47

Yeah the S160 by Roco is the other one I've been referring to and it seems like an excellent model. It is strange that they didn't make it in Alaska RR... but maybe that was because it was for the European market. I'm getting the one in the UASTC scheme.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds