Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Model Railroading > Live Steam Fraternity Loss

Date: 12/02/18 18:24
Live Steam Fraternity Loss
Author: livesteamer

On Saturday evening, the live steam hobby fraternity lost a true gentleman and consummate model builder. Gail Gish, owner of the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad located near Pleasant Hill, Mo passed away have a rather lengthy illness. Gail was a huge fan of Colorado narrow gauge so much so that his nearly mile long 1 1/2" scale railroad was 98% dual gauge trackage with at least 15 dual gauge switches....it may be the large private dual gauge railroad in the US. Some, 25+ years ago, Gail and Warren Weston co-authored a Modeltec building series on the Rio Grande Class T-12 ten-wheelers. He was a gentlemen's gentleman, a superb host and a great friend to our fraternity. RIP

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 12/02/18 19:32
Re: Live Steam Fraternity Loss
Author: tomstp

A heck of a nice man, never met a stranger and remembered you .  He built a fantastic  narrow gauge  C series  2-8-0 for 4 and 3/4" inch track (1 inch scale they call it).I attended that last big meet he had at his place.  Lots of 1" scale engines there.

Date: 12/03/18 08:45
Author: BAB

Never met him but knew of him thru another fellow who built 2.5" narrow gauge equipment.  To have that much dual gauge rail on the ground is quite an event to see.  Am sorry to hear of his passing we all are getting up there in this hobby.  May he rest in peace now with clear track and a full head of steam as he goes.

Date: 12/03/18 10:03
Author: livesteamer

I met Gail more than 25 years ago when the Air Force returned me back to Missouri for my retirement assignment.  I had been active in live steam for about 10 years at this point and called Gail for permission to visit his railroad.  From that point on I was a regular at his railroad both in maintenance-of-way sessions and run days.  And he taught me so much more about running steam, was an incredibly gracious host and just a rock solid friend.  I never, ever, heard a cross word uttered by Gail.  He was a "class act" and the epitome of a gentleman.  He will be missed but his legacy will live on in the hearts of live steamers across the country.    

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0334 seconds