Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Model Railroading > Atlas "Classic" Motor

Date: 12/06/18 13:19
Atlas "Classic" Motor
Author: jburek

Purchased an Undecorated Atlas Classic RS3 with LokSound about 6 - 7 years ago.   Finally decided to paint it & when I removed the shell I discovered it did not have a Kato like motor, but one of the "China" motors.  I recall hearing that these were weak low torque motors that had issues.  Is this true?  I'd like to avoid changing out the motor unless it's absolutely necessary.  Thanks.
Jeff Burek

Date: 12/06/18 14:12
Re: Atlas "Classic" Motor
Author: PHall

Have you run it? 

Date: 12/06/18 14:35

Just test run yesrs ago, but really wasn't put through the paces.  The sound was somewhat tinny so thought at the time I would change out the speaker.

Date: 12/06/18 14:59
Author: brfriedm

Atlas has been using junk Chinese motors for years. I have complained to them many times and they have done nothing. Bowser is the same. Intermountain was also using these junk motors but switched to a much better motor. The issue was with the magnets. They were very weak. The way u can test the engine is to use the Micromark pull tester. It tells the story.

Also if u hold a small steel screwdriver to the magnets, if it pulls the screwdriver casually as u hold it near the magnets, the magnets are weak and so is the motor. 

Bruce

jburek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Purchased an Undecorated Atlas Classic RS3 with
> LokSound about 6 - 7 years ago.   Finally
> decided to paint it & when I removed the shell I
> discovered it did not have a Kato like motor, but
> one of the "China" motors.  I recall hearing that
> these were weak low torque motors that had
> issues.  Is this true?  I'd like to avoid
> changing out the motor unless it's absolutely
> necessary.  Thanks.
> Jeff Burek

Date: 12/06/18 19:39

Is there a trick to removing the flywheels from the bad motor?  I can't get them off.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0359 seconds