Re: HO 4141 on auction going high
Author: funnelfan

SD45X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> $585 for Athearn ACe. 4141.
> Last I looked.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Must have sold, don't see it now. But someone has a MTH SD70ACE in UP 4141 paint with a buy it now for $950!

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 12/07/18 16:42
Author: tomstp

Free enterprise at work?????

Date: 12/07/18 16:49
Author: sandmanre

Athearn just  announced a rerun of 4141.  Anyone paying those ridiculous prices  on Ebay are stupid in my opinion.

Ron Evans
Golden Valley, AZ

Date: 12/07/18 16:50
Author: Coach_Key

funnelfan Wrote:
> SD45X Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > $585 for Athearn ACe. 4141.
> > Last I looked.
> >
> > Posted from iPhone
>
> Must have sold, don't see it now. But someone has
> a MTH SD70ACE in UP 4141 paint with a buy it now
> for $950!

At those prices for a plastic 4141, I think it would be more cost effective to save a little extra money and buy a brass one (If you can find one). 

Date: 12/07/18 17:12
Author: Dewman45

I ordered my UP 4141 with sound today from my local hobby shop it's due July 2019.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/07/18 17:32
Author: Hookdragkick

sandmanre Wrote:
> Athearn just  announced a rerun of 4141.  Anyone
> paying those ridiculous prices  on Ebay are
> stupid in my opinion.

Amen.

Date: 12/07/18 17:41
Author: NSTopHat

Hookdragkick Wrote:
> sandmanre Wrote:
> -----
> > Athearn just  announced a rerun of 4141. 
> Anyone
> > paying those ridiculous prices  on Ebay are
> > stupid in my opinion.
>
> Amen.

And they may not be model railroaders and don't know any better....

Russ

Date: 12/07/18 18:30
Author: JETRR

If you have a couple grand you might be able to pick up the brass UP 4141.

Coach_Key Wrote:
> funnelfan Wrote:
> -----
> > SD45X Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > $585 for Athearn ACe. 4141.
> > > Last I looked.
> > >
> > > Posted from iPhone
> >
> > Must have sold, don't see it now. But someone
> has
> > a MTH SD70ACE in UP 4141 paint with a buy it
> now
> > for $950!
>
> At those prices for a plastic 4141, I think it
> would be more cost effective to save a little
> extra money and buy a brass one (If you can find
> one). 

Date: 12/07/18 20:28
Author: CSX602

It all depends on when you want one.   If you want a UP #4141 model NOW you'll have to outbid others who want them NOW too.
(By the time the Athearn HO re-run arrives - ETA December 2019 - it will likely be a year after #4141's big day and the real #4141 might be out of service and in the museum by then) 

BTW, the OMI brass HO #4141s when done (with the nice wooden box with Bush Library logo) they were $1495 retail.  I had the chance to buy one once for $900 (and regret I didn't foresee what UP had planned).  Not many of those were made (130 I think) and won't likely be repeated (not to mention that OMI played a part in the real one being done).  Last one I saw sell was nearly $2,000.   A seller could probably get $3,000+ for one now thanks to the national coverage of the funeral train.

If anybody is surprised that limited run UP #4141s are going so high after that funeral train had millions of viewers yesterday then they don't understand the concept of supply and demand...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/18 20:51 by CSX602.

Date: 12/07/18 20:35
Author: navarch2

My LHS had one in stock Wednesday....$219.00....picked it up to show grandkids. 

Bob

Date: 12/07/18 21:16
Author: cchan006

tomstp Wrote:
> Free enterprise at work?????

It's probably tougher to do it now, but maybe it's shill bidding. On occasion, I get an eBay message asking if I wanted to buy the item, since the highest bidder flaked (laugh, and NOPE).

I remember about 15-16 years ago, where an item I was selling was "bought," but it came back "UNCLAIMED." I waited for the buyer to say something, but nothing - didn't even ask for a refund.

There were similar items for sale at the time, and the "high bid" for my item could have been used to establish "market price." One theory is that the "buyer" may have had multiple quantities of what I was selling, and used my auction to get higher prices for his items.

You can call this "free enterprise," if you wish. :-)

Date: 12/07/18 22:10

Well there are real people paying premium prices for some items... 
I've seen Athearn HO TBOX cars go for $100 and the buyers leave positive feedback a few days later (same with Exactrail GONX railgons where some went for $100+)
I have no doubts that some are paying premiums for UP #4141s...   (If you believe all the stories about how all Republicans are rich, think of how many want one for their office, desk or display in their mansions... including those that think $1000 is pocket change)

PS.  Do a search in the eBay HO auctions for "Walthers flag baggage" and you'll see some of those sold for $299 in November, well before millions watched the car carry Bush 41 in person or on TV...  The spare I bought when those came out may be listed this weekend.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/18 22:13 by CSX602.

Date: 12/08/18 01:10
Author: RRBMail

tomstp Wrote:
> Free enterprise at work?????

"Free" is a misnomer when "enterprise" is at work.

Date: 12/08/18 05:21
Author: SD45X

Over $625 now and 6 days to go. Wonder if it was relisted?

Has DCC sound:)

“Rare Athearn Bush 4141”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/18 05:23 by SD45X.

Date: 12/08/18 07:35
Author: BAB

Well gee if you think its too much then dont buy it. As for brass, never have the detail that plastic does and never runs as good so brass has become some what, look at the prices, ho hum. Just my thinking. And I also dont bother to include others posts quoted in my statements either.

I see the new one is upgraded from the first issue also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/18 07:39 by BAB.

Date: 12/08/18 07:38
Author: wheel_slip

CSX602 Wrote:
> (not to mention that OMI played a part in the real one
> being done). 

Actually, this "rumor" is factually incorrect. The Union Pacific heritage locomotive fleet designs were created by Bailey Lauerman, a Omaha (and Los Angeles) based advertising and graphic arts firm that does a lot of work for the Union Pacific https://www.baileylauerman.com
Here's a news article on the creator: https://musebycl.io/design/ad-agency-helped-design-locomotive-pulled-george-bushs-funeral-train?fbclid=IwAR0fnSxq34GAL7E0CCiRch5SglNzzxypp9C6x5o-hQJ7ha4Se68BgbSE1os
Here's the list of the designers and the Creative Director that were behind the Heritage Fleet created by Bailey Lauerman
UNION PACIFIC HERITAGE LOCOMOTIVES 
Designer, Cathy Solarana, Marty Amsler, Nate Voss, Nate Eicher, Dave Markes
Creative Director, Marty Amsler

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/18 07:39 by wheel_slip.

Date: 12/08/18 09:38

Hey wheelslip, did you notice that article says that ad agency HELPED on the design of the paint job...  That is, they don't claim to have done it all.  Do you know where the idea for #4141 specifically came from? (if not then how can you say OMI was not involved, or say "factually" that is "only a rumor"?)  The paint job was supposedly a collaborate effort.  OMI had been tasked with doing an O-scale brass model to be presented to the President at that same unveiling.  If it was like many special paints of that time a model was done first to see how the paint scheme concept "fit" onto the locomotive and then the full size loco painted (potentially after necessary adjustments which could be made easier on the model).

This is from the Overland Hobbies blog about 2 months ago (Oct 1, 2018)...
"It is hard to believe that 13 years has passed this October since Union Pacific Railroad unveiled their specially painted George Bush 41 Presidential Library and Museum SD70ACe #4141 at College Station, TX... The unveiling was filled with all kinds of Pomp and Circumstance and Missy and I were able to see and hear everything in first person.  Overland Models was honored to work with UP and the Presidential Library in preparing paint and lettering diagrams and then an O scale brass model to be given to the President as part of the unveiling."

It would be great to hear the full story of the Bush #4141 from concept to model/1:1 unit to unveiling, but I'll leave that to those that were involved...

Date: 12/08/18 10:14
Author: kestrel

I have a brass one that I'm gonna sell.  I just DON'T want to make it seem like I'm trying to profit off of his death.  It can wait.

Vince in Texas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/18 11:48 by kestrel.

Date: 12/08/18 11:28
Author: fbe

The UP 4141 layout was based on the USAF Aiir Force 1 747 paint. Raymond Loewy had a hand in that project.

Loewy had a history of designing steam engines for the Pennsy and the paint for NP's North Coast Limited.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Loewy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/18 11:35 by fbe.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0945 seconds