Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Model Railroading > Walthers doing a UP4141

Date: 12/14/18 15:27
Walthers doing a UP4141
Author: DKay

Date: 12/14/18 19:43
Re: Walthers doing a UP4141
Author: MC6853

Wonder if they'll get the cab right this time (the UP heritage units don't have isolated cabs)...

Either way it's better than some of the eBay prices for Athearn 4141 models... Wow...

Date: 12/14/18 20:46
Author: BAB

Athearn unit will be Sound traxx 2 for 339.00 due dec 2019 same as the Walthers unit time table just a little more expensive. All of my other units like this are Athearn too and run great on Walthers web site shows pix of it as I dont know what the cab diffrence is possibly you could tell. Boyd in Chiloquin

Date: 12/15/18 06:45
Author: binder001

So we have re-runs coming from Athearn (with upgraded lighting) and Walthers and even MTH, so we will have plenty to chose from.  This is kind of funny as the real loco was the "also ran" of Heritage units for so long.  My local dealer had a hard time getting rid of hist first batch of Athearns.  

Personally I am probably going to get the Athearn, although the Walthers offers a really fine running mechanism at a reasonable cost, you just have to install a lot of details yourself.  I won't have an MTH on my layout, so that part of the choice is easy.  Anyway, next year Santa will certainly be toting a LOT of UP 414 SD70ACes!

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 12/15/18 07:41

Yes the nice thing abotu Athearn all detail, hand rails, air hoses and such are installed no holes to drill and that is one job I do not llike.   Walthers you hve to buy details extra and drill holes.  Ok so is the cab correct on the Walthers or not is the question..

Date: 12/15/18 08:43
Author: funnelfan

I noticed the Walthers unit will come with factory installed Grab Irons. Interesting turn of events there.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 12/15/18 10:31
Author: sandmanre

According to the Walthers website, the unit will have molded on drill starting points for the grab irons, not the grab irons themselves.

Ron Evans
Golden Valley, AZ

Date: 12/15/18 11:05
Author: fbe

If you buy all the parts to get it up to the details on the Athearn models it will end up costing what the completed Athearn unit does and will not have any of the radiator and inside compressor detail. It will run just as well and pull as much.

Date: 12/15/18 11:10
Author: PHall

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you buy all the parts to get it up to the
> details on the Athearn models it will end up
> costing what the completed Athearn unit does and
> will not have any of the radiator and inside
> compressor detail. It will run just as well and
> pull as much.

Some of us actually like to do some actual modeling and not just collecting.

Date: 12/15/18 11:15

Here is the last paragraph in the Walthers product description. Previous ACe units had drill points with grabirons while the Bush unit is the first release with grabirons installed and painted.

"From its introduction in 2005 to its late 2018 assignment as lead unit for the George H.W. Bush funeral train, EMD SD70ACe 4141's long and colorful career has taken the engine all across the Union Pacific system. Unique features of this colorful WalthersMainline model include:First time with factory-installed and painted grab ironsAuthentic 2018 paint and lettering."

sandmanre Wrote:
> According to the Walthers website, the unit will
> have molded on drill starting points for the grab
> irons, not the grab irons themselves.

Date: 12/15/18 11:26

fbe Wrote:
> Here is the last paragraph in the Walthers product
> description. Previous ACe units had drill points
> with grabirons while the Bush unit is the first
> release with grabirons installed and painted.
>
>
>
> "From its introduction in 2005 to its late 2018
> assignment as lead unit for the George H.W. Bush
> funeral train, EMD SD70ACe 4141's long and
> colorful career has taken the engine all across
> the Union Pacific system. Unique features of this
> colorful WalthersMainline model include:First time
> with factory-installed and painted grab
> ironsAuthentic 2018 paint and lettering."
>
>

Drilling the grabiron holes on the fireman's side to the top of the equipment box is a challenge to do without the pin vise chuck scratching the body paint. Cover that with Scotch tape for protection.

Yes, PHall, I do modeling construction as well.

>
>
> sandmanre Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > According to the Walthers website, the unit
> will
> > have molded on drill starting points for the
> grab
> > irons, not the grab irons themselves.

Date: 12/16/18 02:22
Author: calsubd

Someone on here should Question Walthers on the Lighting, whether  LED or fibre optic (like they did on the Providence and Worcester 4301 & 4302 , total fail IMHO )

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 12/16/18 12:11

FYI PHALL, not all of us can see well enough to drill those holes anymore. Wish I could you don't know how much, I have one eye that is bad and cannot focus it so there is no depth perception any more. You don't know how much this affects ones life as I like to weld and such. Just a thought before posting for you. Boyd in Chiloquin glad that I have one good eye still.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.4229 seconds