Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Model Railroading > Keep alive for Walthers F-7

Date: 12/15/18 17:28
Keep alive for Walthers F-7
Author: M-420

I have one of the latest run of F's. It's got a tsunami sound decoder in it and I want to put a keep alive in it.
Questions:

- Does anyone know the model of soundtraxx tsunami this is? The only markings I can see is WW56E (rev c) on the PCB. This doesn't correspond to the "usual" Soundtraxx markings (T1000, T1100  ect)

- Any tips on hooking a keeper onto this one?

Thanks
B

Date: 12/15/18 18:24
Re: Keep alive for Walthers F-7
Author: WrongWayMurphy

That’s one of those crummy decoders made for Walthers by Soundtraxx.
They are extremely cheap with limited functions compared to other Tsunami products.

I have one in a Walthers GP20 and the sound quality is sub-standard and a pain to program.

i will refrain from advice on the keep-alive, as my suggestion would be to replace it with TCS or Loksound.

Date: 12/15/18 23:18
Author: fbe

Those matching cans in the lower photo may be the factory applied keep alive capacitors. You might try Walthers DCC tech support.

Date: 12/16/18 07:27
Author: WrongWayMurphy

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those matching cans in the lower photo may be the
> factory applied keep alive capacitors. You might
> try Walthers DCC tech support.

that decoder has no built-in keep-alive capacitor.

Date: 12/16/18 08:54
Author: BaylorMax

Call Soundtraxx technical support, (970) 259-0690.  Option 2, I think.

They are excellent and easy to talk with.

Steve Barkley

Date: 12/16/18 10:18
Author: ChrisCampi

BaylorMax Wrote:
> Call Soundtraxx technical support, (970)
> 259-0690.  Option 2, I think.
>
> They are excellent and easy to talk with.
>
> Steve Barkley

I've also had timely and helpful responses via email regarding keep alive wiring.

Date: 12/16/18 12:06
Author: BAB

Most Soundtraxx boards that were spec made can be replaced with a full function drop in board from them.  I find by the way that Soundtraxx is very easy to program and work very well as they require nothing more than my NCE controler and a programing section on my bench. Much easier than either of those others and also like the sound better than the Loc sound. Just my take Boyd in Chiloquin, by the way have ON30 MMI locos with that brand along with about fifteen or so HO diesels and steam engines.

Date: 12/16/18 13:45
Author: mmosher

Check out this page for details for adding current keeper for many Tsunami models:
https://tonystrains.com/news/how-to-add-current-keeper-to-soundtraxx-tsunami-decoders/

Michael Mosher
Millville, NJ

Date: 12/16/18 14:04
Author: ChrisCampi

BAB Wrote:
> Most Soundtraxx boards that were spec made can be
> replaced with a full function drop in board from
> them.  I find by the way that Soundtraxx is very
> easy to program and work very well as they require
> nothing more than my NCE controler and a
> programing section on my bench. Much easier than
> either of those others and also like the sound
> better than the Loc sound. Just my take Boyd in
> Chiloquin, by the way have ON30 MMI locos with
> that brand along with about fifteen or so HO
> diesels and steam engines.

Its OK to be a Soundtraxx fan boy. I like them for many of the same reasons you do, but it pisses me off that I have to buy the oringinal junk board then buy an upgraded board to get my sound eqipped loco to run as well as I would like. No big deal if you only have a couple of loc's to upgrade but expensive when you have dozens. I think twice before buying an Sound eqipped vs. DCC ready these days. Manufacturers like Scaletrains with full featured decoders and built in keep alives make buying Sound equipped loco's an easy decision. No doubt a big reason they were voted the best loco hands down.

Regarding programming. You should note that the Tsunami2's are very similar to programming the ESU offerings these days. So many features make it necessary I guess.

Date: 12/16/18 17:59
Author: BAB

Dont find any problems with the 2s same as the others. I dont do too much there are hours one could spend programming them just engine numbers and running sounds levels on most or types of bells which by the way has  much better ring to them. And instead of boy it would be better to say person as I passed boy 65 years ago.   Boyd

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0487 seconds