Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Model Railroading > Omaha, Neb. Train Shops this weekend?

Date: 01/03/19 18:30
Omaha, Neb. Train Shops this weekend?
Author: RRBMail

I just heard that this weekend will be the first and last time, since 150 years ago, that all the spikes from the Promontory, "wedding of the rails" ceremony will be exhibited  together at the Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha. So I am flying out tomorrow, at zero-dark-thirty from Burbank to take visit the Joslyn as well as the UP Museum in Council Bluffs. Can any TOs recommend any Omaha area train shops, in order of preference? Thanks in advance!

Date: 01/03/19 18:50
Re: Omaha, Neb. Train Shops this weekend?
Author: railfan400

House of Trains is the larger of these and has a good selection in HO and N scales plus O gauge. They carry parts/details and have some used stuff.  If I recall correctly, Train Time has more O gauge and N scale with a more limited selection of HO. If I only had time to visit one store, I'd make it House of Trains.

House of Trains
8106 Maple Street, Omaha, NE 68134

Train Time Hobby
7566 S 84th Street, La Vista, NE 68128

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/19 18:58 by railfan400.

Date: 01/04/19 05:54
Author: binder001

I second the suggestion: House Of Trains is a long-standing shop with a good inventory and nice staff.  HO, N are well represented along with track, scenery, structures, etc.  Train Time seems more geared to internet sales versus shop sales.  If time allows a 45 minute drive to Lincoln would bring you to Randy's Roundhouse, Lincoln's "foamer" headquarters.  A small shop but great service, certainly worth a look!

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 01/04/19 14:15
Author: hartrick24

Gary is the Train Cellar still in Lincoln?

Steve H..

Date: 01/05/19 11:22
Author: binder001

hartrick24 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>     Gary is the Train Cellar still in Lincoln?
>
>   Steve H..

No sir, they went out of the retail business some time ago and sold off remaining stock at train shows.  Sadly, Don Hermanson the last proprietor of The Train Cellar passed away in mid-2018.  Randy, who runs Randy's Roundhouse used to work at Train Cellar when they were in north Lincoln, then he worked for Grand Central, then opened his own store.  Good place to visit if you're in town.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds