Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Model Railroading > SP 86 Foot Exterior Post Boxcar

Date: 01/05/19 08:11
SP 86 Foot Exterior Post Boxcar
Author: Jimmies

Here's another SP 86 foot boxcar converted to exterior post that I've just finished up.  This one is a little bit different than the one I posted quite some ago, with roof braces and a difference in the lettering.  I had to fabricate the letter "D" in "HYDRA" because there wasn't one on thedecal sheet. It started out as an undecorated Athearn car.  The pictures kind of tell the story.

Thanks for looking.

Jim
https://jssxrailway.blogspot.com

Date: 01/05/19 08:17
Re: SP 86 Foot Exterior Post Boxcar

Here's the boxcar out on the layout, a drone shot showing the roof, and the sisters running together.

Jim

Date: 01/05/19 08:35
Author: myoungwisc

Excellent work Jim!

Martin

Date: 01/05/19 08:39
Author: ghemr

Great looking cars! I admire your patience in cutting aand adding all those extra posts...

Date: 01/05/19 08:43

Thank you.  Adding the posts was the easy part. Decaling...now that was a "challenge".

Jim

Date: 01/05/19 09:27
Author: RailThunder

Very nice.

Date: 01/05/19 10:06
Author: NSTopHat

Jim;

Very cool!

Russ

Date: 01/05/19 10:12
Author: Hookdragkick

Kudos! What a transformation. What kind of air compressor are you running? Also, is there plans to age the cars to fit into your modern layout?

Date: 01/05/19 10:35
Author: PHall

After the auto parts traffic went away these cars were used to haul stuff like toilet paper and furniture. Bulky but light stuff.

Date: 01/05/19 11:14
Author: funnelfan

So I take it you added the ribs over the large SP between the doors after applying the decal and painted them to match. That's a great idea instead of having to work that huge decal over and around those ribs!

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 01/05/19 12:53

Hookdragkick, compressor type?  Not sure if this will be the answer you're looking for but it's a Mastercraft from Canadian Tire.  I don't think I'm going to weather either of these any time soon. I like the look of them to much as is now.  I'm thinking of doing one for Cotton Belt to match these, but there's no matching colour decal with the words "Cotton Belt" as far as I know.

And Ted, yes, the ribs went overtopof the large SP ball, then painted them to match. That large decal went on just as smoothly as could be.  The grey stripes are decaled too.  They were difficult, but I didn't want to try masking overtop of all the ribs and such.

I feel bad for neglecting to mention that I more or less was guided by an article from Mike Budde in from September 2000 Railmodel Journal.

Jim

Date: 01/05/19 13:43
Author: CPR_4000

How did you adhere the posts to the decal/paint?

Date: 01/05/19 14:29

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How did you adhere the posts to the decal/paint?

ModelMaster Clear Parts Cement.
Jim

Date: 01/05/19 14:41
Author: tgcostello

Congrats Jim, those are some fine looking models of a very distinctive prototype.
Tim Costello

Date: 01/05/19 15:54
Author: bnsfsd70

Really nice work!

- Jeff Carlson

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds