Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Model Railroading > BN Waffle Boxcar

Date: 01/06/19 19:22
BN Waffle Boxcar
Author: funnelfan

I was recently looking at the Walthers RTR Waffle boxcar realizing it doesn't match the prototype at all. But then it struck me that the car looks like a waffle version of the PS 5344 cars. Athearn made a PS 5344 some time ago, and while it does have some issues, adding waffles could make a it a very close match to this car in the pic. What do you guys think?

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 01/07/19 02:41
Re: BN Waffle Boxcar

Ian Clasper pointed out this car has a overhanging edge roof where the PS 5344 cars have the rolled edge. Now I'm thinking about cutting the roof off a old MDC/Roundhouse PS 5277 boxcar and flattening it. But I'm unsure how that would fit sizewise.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 01/07/19 03:38

Nevermind, someone pointed out the obvious, start with a intermountain 5277 car, cut the roof off and flatten it. The ends wouldn't be quite right, but I could live with it.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 01/07/19 08:22
Author: chrisbutts

I have thoughts of doing the same.   Using a cut down ExactRail PS roof from their 60' waffle car.

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nevermind, someone pointed out the obvious, start
> with a intermountain 5277 car, cut the roof off
> and flatten it. The ends wouldn't be quite right,
> but I could live with it.

Date: 01/07/19 13:03
Author: wjpyper

If it is just the BN livery that you want you can get an S scale ribbed box from American Models www.americanmodels.com or if it is waffles that you crave Lionel/American Flyer has one in S gauge in 5 different road names. The National Association of S Gaugers (NASG) also offers a waffle side decorated for BNSF. But you have to be a member to buy one. Check it out at www.nasg.org. S scale is just the right size. Not so small and flimsy and not too big.
Bill Pyper
Salem, Oregon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/19 13:04 by wjpyper.

Date: 01/07/19 17:53

wjpyper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it is just the BN livery that you want you can
> get an S scale ribbed box from American Models
> www.americanmodels.com or if it is waffles that
> you crave Lionel/American Flyer has one in S gauge
> in 5 different road names. The National
> Association of S Gaugers (NASG) also offers a
> waffle side decorated for BNSF. But you have to be
> a member to buy one. Check it out at www.nasg.org.
> S scale is just the right size. Not so small and
> flimsy and not too big.
> Bill Pyper
> Salem, Oregon

It's not just the scheme or a car with waffles, Walthers already makes a ACF waffle car that they incorrectly painted in BN (HO scale), but I'm looking to model this specific P-S 5277cuft boxcar that was fairly unquie to the Frisco and later BN/BNSF. HO scale of course.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds