Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Model Railroading > It runs, right? Get movin'!

Date: 01/10/19 09:55
It runs, right? Get movin'!
Author: RGDave

Yardmaster Tillotson is giving a new arrival the once-over at Onondaga Yard.  No one is thrilled about its appearance, but work is work - and it runs.  It's summer 1992, and the YAON-14 crew has a full slate especially having to work around a late WAON-10 in the background.  "Get movin' guys, let's go."

Railroading, indeed!

~RGDave
https://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

Date: 01/10/19 10:31
Re: It runs, right? Get movin'!
Author: exhaustED

Hey now that's good - I had to look again before I realised it was a model! Your track colours/weathering are outstandingly realistic, loco weathering/detailing are great also!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/19 10:34 by exhaustED.

Date: 01/10/19 11:07
Author: sp8192

Yep, that's fantastic!   More please!

Date: 01/10/19 12:18
Author: alto_towerbob

At least the journal guides on the trucks have been replaced recently...  Great weathering job - fantastic!!

Bob

Date: 01/10/19 12:29
Author: goneon66

that is some of the most realistic looking track i have ever seen.  great job.......

Date: 01/10/19 12:42
Author: ghemr

Everything about this scene is beautiful----the trackwork, scenery, details and especially the locomotive! I really like how you gave it a rusty look as if's seen it's share of steel mill work.

Date: 01/10/19 14:47
Author: miralomarail

The Conrail 8280 , appears to have something " Red " in front of the plow, what might that be ?

Date: 01/10/19 15:02
Author: Jimmies

Everything looks great Dave.

Jim

Date: 01/10/19 15:47
Author: HB90MACH

First I have seen a really good representation of ConRust. Rather tough to mimic

Date: 01/10/19 19:38
Author: boejoe

miralomarail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Conrail 8280 , appears to have something " Red
> " in front of the plow, what might that be ?

Scale fusee (LOL)

Date: 01/10/19 21:00
Author: inCHI

That looks exactly like I remember Conrail GP15's, GP38's, and 4-axle GE's looking. What did you use for the color of the rails? It also looks spot-on.

Date: 01/10/19 22:58
Author: PHall

Looking at the thread title I really didn't expect to see Conrail as the subject.
I was expecting something more along the line of Rock Island.

Date: 01/11/19 07:27
Author: navarch2

Very nice track work weathering...what color did you use for the rail?

It all looks so great.....

Bob

Date: 01/11/19 09:31
Author: mttrainman1

Def not a yardmaster. No Conrail yardmaster i have ever met would put on a hardhat! Trainmaster or RFE eh. Maybe...No hardhat worn there unless cleaning up a mess (derailment) If you took offcthe hard hat, though....I have definitley been driven to perform by a yardmaster though. I have seen a few old school yardmaster who would swear and yell at you if you were not meeting their expectations ( or they did not like you). The days of hard- charging yardmasters seem to fading though on csx. I believe it has to to with micro-managing csx managers who ate too scared to let a yardmaster do thier jobs because they are afraid a decision could be made that the trainmaster will have to answer for on the numerous daily conference calls ( but I digress.....)

Date: 01/11/19 10:20
Author: RGDave

Wow, thanks for all the feedback!  It's fun sharing with you all, always a fun discussion.

The track was spray-painted with my last few cans of Floquil Rail Brown, and then oversprayed from a distance with a darker gray for some depth after ballast was added.  I'm happy with the result, it captures that overall gritty-but-homogeneous look of the weathering on the prototype.

The red under the plow is an old 55-gallon drum in between the tracks.  It's the defacto storage rack for mu hoses and ETD's, moved by a crew member as a spot on the South Runner clear of the stitch ahead.

The locomotive is an Athearn Genesis model, weathered with love by Lenny Harlos, truly a gifted artist with weathering.  He's formerly worked with Southern Tier Models and still does some stuff on the side - I install decoders and lighting in his engines, and he weathers some of mine in return.  His skill is beyond mine!  He uses layers and layers of oils, paint pens and an airbrush to build different colors into the project.  The results are often stunning.

Thanks again for your encouragement & enthusiasm!  

~RGDave
https://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

Date: 01/11/19 13:34
Author: jjd0618psd

Great job with everything.  I can attest to the work Lenny does.  I have some of his cars that I bought in the past and also some models that he did for me.  He really is a talented person. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0499 seconds