Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Model Railroading > USA Trains GP 30 handrail issues

Date: 02/08/19 14:59
USA Trains GP 30 handrail issues
Author: djansson

I have two USA Trains GP-30s that were missing side handrails. I ordered new ones from Charles RO but there seems to be an issue - please help if you can.
The handrails for the SP Geep match the stanchion holes and cab, but the Rio Grande Geep has an issue on  the left side, where it appears that the cab is different (shorter) and there is one more stanchion than the other (SP Geep).

Were there two different product runs? If so, how do I get the right handwrails for the Rio Grande motor?

Date: 02/08/19 15:07
Re: USA Trains GP 30 handrail issues
Author: ESPEE5318

GP30’s had two different cabs, early had the short cab , later the cab was made longer on that side....

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/08/19 15:14
Author: tomstp

Get the proper size brass wire and make your own using needle nose pliars.  Its not hard at all.

Date: 02/08/19 16:02
Author: PHall

The Rio Grande unit is a Phase 1 GP30. You might check with Charles Ro to see if they have different sets for Phase 1 and Phase 2 engines.

Date: 02/08/19 17:46
Author: CPR_4000

Both models are also missing the U shaped hanger that the leaf spring sits on. Part No. R22-134

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=424162

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/19 17:48 by CPR_4000.

Date: 02/09/19 10:07
Author: tunnel88

Everytime i see these massive models, it always makes me think how fun a large scale switching layout might be. Then reality comes knocking when i see the prices!

As noted above Rio Grande had both phases so maybe they just grabbed the first set on the list.

Date: 02/09/19 10:27
Author: djansson

Thanks for all your help. These engines were "basket cases" that saw a LOT of running in a club demo layout and as such, never get any TLC. I took on tthe job of bringing them up to spec (with all parts!) and they have many more hours of service ahead of them.

DJ

Date: 02/10/19 08:27
Author: Atsf814

Agreed with earlier post. Make your own from brass wire. Patience goes a long way and is very gratifying when completed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0317 seconds