Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Model Railroading > Flat Turned Gon

Date: 02/10/19 08:23
Flat Turned Gon
Author: Jimmies

I ran across this picture (by David Andersen) of this uniquelooking freight car online a couple of years ago, and saved it for reference for a project I thought I might like to do in the future.  The new ExactRail GSI bulkhead flat looked like it might be the perfect starting point.  I faded the original green down by spraying with Proto-Paint Flat Haze and then some light green craft acrylic.

I built a sub-floor of .030 styrene.  I'm guessing that the car should have a steel floor, so I made that and the sides and ends from .020 styrene. The posts are from .040x.040 styrene strip, which fit perfectly into the flatcar stake pockets. The gondola is painted with Rust Texture, a flat black wash, and then stippled on Rail Brown to vary colour and tone.  I may or may not add the reflective stripes at some point, but I don't really like them much.

You can see more at https://jssxrailway.blogspot.com

Thanks for looking.

Jim

Date: 02/10/19 08:26
Re: Flat Turned Gon

2 more...

Date: 02/10/19 09:08
Author: borg

You did a great job.  Wonder why they did this and what it is used for?

Date: 02/10/19 09:27
Author: jayb61

excellent job i will say 

Date: 02/10/19 09:43
Author: inCHI

Excellent! I wonder if that was actually used in revenue service?

Date: 02/10/19 10:47
Author: tunnel88

Nicely done! 

Date: 02/10/19 14:09
Author: DKay

You do great work Jim.Very unusual prototype.
Regards,DK

Date: 02/10/19 14:18
Author: ghemr

Your layers of rust on the gondola sides looks great!

Date: 02/10/19 16:41
Author: CSX602

Excellent looking model!  Several railroads used to have pipe service gondolas with higher ends than sides.  This looks like a modern adaptation of a bulkhead flat to similar service.

Date: 02/11/19 12:29
Author: Kimball

Nice car, but can you explain the track and "filler" in the photos?  Going to be street trackage or such?

Date: 02/11/19 16:03
Author: PHall

Looking at the chalk markings on the prototype car in the first picture, looks like this car is used by the car shops in scrap wheel set service.

Date: 02/11/19 19:15

Thanks to all for taking a look and for leaving the nice comments.  And yes Kimball, that is street trackage, but I'm unsure of what you mean by "filler".

Jim

Date: 02/11/19 21:41
Author: bnsfsd70

Looks great!

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 02/12/19 09:06
Author: atsf121

Great job on such an interesting prototype.  

Nathan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds