Home Open Account Help 402 users online

Model Railroading > Kato P42, H.O question...

Date: 02/10/19 14:39
Kato P42, H.O question...
Author: hartrick24

i've been wanting a Amtrak P-42 for a long time. The Athearn locos are just about gone on other sites. I'm not one on for a super detailed loco, but I like one that ris very elible.
There are many Kato's for sale. With a motor on each truck, how do they stay insink with each other and what about the decoder. And are the decoders hard to install ?

TIA

Steve H 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/19 17:12 by hartrick24.

Date: 02/10/19 15:02
Re: Kato P42, H.O question...
Author: ST214

I own several of them and have never had issues with them. They run great and are strong pullers given how small the motors are.

Date: 02/10/19 16:53
Author: 1976

You need to buy a DCC equipped version. I recall Kato itself saying the DC models are not DCC friendly at all. It's a terrible design to be sure.

Date: 02/10/19 16:55
Author: NSTopHat

1976 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You need to buy a DCC equipped version. I recall
> Kato itself saying the DC models are not DCC
> friendly at all. It's a terrible design to be
> sure.

Yes, IIRC Kelly Duford, who at least worked for Kato at the time, had admitted that it took him 3-4 hours to do an install.

Russ

Date: 02/12/19 11:29
Author: nightmare0331

NSTopHat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1976 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You need to buy a DCC equipped version. I
> recall
> > Kato itself saying the DC models are not DCC
> > friendly at all. It's a terrible design to be
> > sure.
>
> Yes, IIRC Kelly Duford, who at least worked for
> Kato at the time, had admitted that it took him
> 3-4 hours to do an install.
>
> Russ

The P42 mechanism is different to be sure and while cutting edge in some aspects, leaves other areas to be seriously desired...including the application of DCC friendliness out of the box.  I fought against that one and lost.

That said, I've never stated it takes 3-4 hours to do an install in one, however it might be challanging to install and take a long time for someone not familiar with hard wiring decoders..  The first one took me about an hour and a half.  I can install ESU Loksound in one in about 20 minutes.

There are instructions on Kato's website on how to install DCC in these units.  It's a bit quirky/different, but does work and if you know how to solder, isn't that bad.

http://katousa.com/HO/P42/maint/DCC-install.html

Kato USA is running out of the last two sku's (37-6108, 37-6109 and obvioulsly, the sound equipped versions which are built from these 37-6108-LS and 37-6109-LS ) and while there are a bunch currently in the marketplace, I'm not certain there will be a rerun of P42's in the near future.

Enjoy!

Kelley.
www.dufordmodelworks.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.051 seconds