Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Model Railroading > Tank Cars

Date: 02/11/19 08:28
Tank Cars
Author: SD608708

I need to remove some factory lettering from a couple of tank cars and suggestions what to use so the paint is not damaged.

TIA

Paul B
Canton, GA

Date: 02/11/19 09:35
Re: Tank Cars
Author: funnelfan

Removing lettering without altering the base paint can be very tricky. Some have used micosol or solvaset to remove lettering, others have carefully used washaway paint remover  as well. Results have always been mixed.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 02/11/19 09:50
Author: tomstp

A long time ago I would use solvaset and a typewriter eraser to do it.  Over the years hobby paint has changed so much I don't know if it will work without damage to underneath or not.  Try at your own risk.

Date: 02/11/19 10:24
Author: TT

I've had good results with Joe's Decal Remover. Let it dry overnight on the decal, then remove with a wet cotton swab. Some decals require more than one application.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/11/19 11:10
Author: ghemr

Cut a piece of toilet tissue to the size of lettering to be removed. Then dab on Microscale's Micro-Sol over the entire tissue----keep it damp and undisturbed for about 7-8 minutes. Afterwards remove the tissue and see if the lettering is dissolved. If not slide the tissue back into place and try again. A damp q-tip will help if the lettering is stubborn. From my experience it usually works! Here's a video on Youtube that explains this procedure.......  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gf7xqIHGMQ

Date: 02/11/19 12:40
Author: alto_towerbob

ghemr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  Cut a piece of toilet tissue to the size of
> lettering to be removed. Then dab on Microscale's
> Micro-Sol over the entire tissue----keep it damp
> and undisturbed for about 7-8 minutes. Afterwards
> remove the tissue and see if the lettering is
> dissolved. If not slide the tissue back into place
> and try again. A damp q-tip will help if the
> lettering is stubborn. From my experience it
> usually works! Here's a video on Youtube that
> explains this procedure....... 
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gf7xqIHGMQ

I can vouch for this method working perfectly on Athearn products as well as an Intermountain caboose.  Just take your time and keep the tissue wet for about 7-8 minutes.  No issues at all with removing the road numbers from a brand new Athearn SDP40F.

Bob

Date: 02/12/19 17:58
Author: icancmp193

TT Wrote:
> I've had good results with Joe's Decal Remover.
> Let it dry overnight on the decal, then remove
> with a wet cotton swab. Some decals require more
> than one application.
>
> Posted from Android

I use Joe's also. It's actually called "Decal and Detail Remover". It will remove imprinted lettering & heralds. I use it mostly to get lettering off River Point Station Ford trucks so I can decorate them for other railroads. However, I recently took lettering off a Wiking International beverage truck. Those Germans really know how to pad-print! It took 5 or 6 applications to get the lettering off!

TJY

Date: 02/13/19 03:21
Author: JUTower

MicroSol has worked well for me, but, it can take as long as 45 minutes to work depending on the model.

Date: 02/13/19 08:50
Author: PHall

JUTower Wrote:
> MicroSol has worked well for me, but, it can take
> as long as 45 minutes to work depending on the
> model.

But the underlaying paint wasn't damaged so it's worth the wait.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0505 seconds