Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Model Railroading > Rubber Siding

Date: 02/16/19 19:29
Rubber Siding
Author: LarryDoyle

Every Yardmaster and every Dispatcher wants one.  Or more.  Can never have enough of  'em.  That is, a rubber siding.  A track that can always hold one more.

The Wabasha Yardmaster on my Minnesota Midland had lived with just such a problem for too long up in the Milling district,  15 years too long.  They finally got managements approval to add just a bit more storage.

The first drone shot shows the problem.  If there's a car spotted at Elevator 'A' next to grain inspectors office, then access to the middle of the 5 tracks shown is blocked.  And vice versa  if the entire consist of the daily passenger accomodation is stored overnight on the track next to it, then the grain track is fouled.

Sven, the roadmaster, volunteered a solution.  "Vell," he says, "S'posin' I rebuild the svitches an' give ya som'ore track.  Sorta stretch da track, don' ch' know?"

Yardmaster thought it over and a few days later took the idea to the Supt., who surprisingly agreed.  The result  is shown below, along with a work-in progress ground level shot.

-John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/19 06:28 by LarryDoyle.

Date: 02/17/19 04:51
Re: Rubber Siding
Author: santafedan

I had a similar issue at Ayre on Walt's B&M layout.  We are adding a second loco to handle the Ayer swap with the B&M.  There is a grade that turned out to be too steep for a single loco. The swap became too long due to increased traffic at the interchange.  (A good thing.)  I had to add a little more track at Ayer to handle the second loco for a runaround move.  The mainline grew about 11 inches.
Will get photos next Tuesday when I go to work on the B&M. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0445 seconds