Home Open Account Help 225 users online

Model Railroading > Great weathering paint

Date: 02/18/19 09:53
Great weathering paint
Author: Santafes95

Happy President's day to you,
I wanted to share a tip about some great weathering wash I discovered. I purchased it at Hobby Haven and I believe it is for weathering military models. I am past due on weathering quite a bit of my motive power. I used this paint to weather the grills on three Dash 8 40BW's.  I pour a little paint into a small lid, dab a brush in the paint and gently apply the wash one grill at a time. The paint seems to have a perfect mix to run into each grill area nciely with no run off and no paint streaks. I wanted to keep the engines failry clean but weather just the grills and this does the trick. I can't imagine masking and airbrushing each of the grills. I did all three units in 15 minutes. I would like to go over the model later with an airbush for the trucks and parts of the plow and fule tank when the weather is nicer. I used dark brown but it seems black to me, like exhaust, and it doesn't look like it is painted like I have seen some models.
Cheers

Date: 02/18/19 09:57
great weathering paint
Author: Santafes95

This is a link to AK interactive paints. Gotta love their emblem! I don't even own a firearm!

https://ak-interactive.com

Date: 02/18/19 17:00
Re: great weathering paint
Author: BN7149

Yep, that's a perfect use for that stuff. Tamiya also makes several shades of panel line accent colors that perform in a similar fashion, the upside to those is that they come with a small applicator brush attached to the cap.

In pretty much every way, armor and aircraft modelers lead the pack on the weathering techniques and products.

-Ryan

Date: 02/23/19 05:25
Re: great weathering paint
Author: JUTower

I have had a great deal of weathering success using the MIG by Ammo washes which appear to be similar to the AK brand.  The panel line washes are great to bring out engine door details, door latches, things like that.  I mostly use MIG washes and colors along with PanPastels anymore; airbrushing or using acrylics with a brush only for the heaviest weathering jobs.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds