Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Model Railroading > Loc sound V5 user reviews

Date: 03/11/19 12:06
Loc sound V5 user reviews
Author: fbe

Has anyone had reason to use one of these new decoders especially after downloading the SD45 files? Thanks.

Yes, those P2K SD45s from yesterday's Spokane swap meet are going to cost even more to make them really useful.

Date: 03/11/19 14:25
Re: Loc sound V5 user reviews
Author: tgcostello

Has ESU published a user manual for the V 5.0 Loc Sound decoder yet?  I've not been able to locate one to support programming of my Scale Trains C44-9W.
Tim Costello

Date: 03/11/19 14:37
Author: UPJeff

Tim,

Bring the engine into the store and I can do the programming using the software.  Much easier that way.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 03/11/19 15:01
Author: SPDRGWfan

Isn't Matt Herman the US point man for Loksound? Is he still with them?

Posted from Android

Date: 03/11/19 15:05
Author: sixaxlecentury

I am a big Loksound fan, and will continue to support them....

But they have been doing a really piss poor job lately of keeping the public updated.   They drop the big news that everything is being discontinued for the new 5.0 line, yet here we are almost 3 months later with no new decoders, no manual, and barely any infromation online.   

They really need to get some more help, and do a better job at communication.  Matt cant do everything.  

Date: 03/11/19 15:26
Author: checkmate007

I have a scale trains Dash-9 there is an issue with CV's 2,5,6.  They reset themselvs no matter how I try to change them.  I had to use the speed table to get the right speeds for my engines.  

Santiago

Date: 03/11/19 18:39

The Lok sound V5 decoders come mty of sound files. You must go to esu, select the loco sound you want on the decoder and download it to your computer. In order to move the sound file you must use a Lok programmer to install the file from the computer to the decoder. Once the files are installed you use the Lok programmer to browse what is on each F control which will get you familiar with the decoder and it's operation. This system works pretty well and it is easy to get used to it but take copius notes.

Date: 03/12/19 04:12
Author: acltrainman

Yes Matthew Herman is still at ESC. He helped me get a problem with a Scale Trains UP GEVO that had ver5 decoder. I didn't know it had ver 5. The Scale Trains instruction manual only had ver 4 info. Matthew helped me outand at 1st he thougjht I wanted ver 4 help but realized I had a ver 5 unit. He got back to me with the help needed.
Yes they need to get the info out on Ver 5 and Scale Trains needs to update the instruction manual also.

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

Date: 03/12/19 05:13
Author: SPDRGWfan

sixaxlecentury Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They drop the big news that everything is being
> discontinued for the new 5.0 line, yet here we are
> almost 3 months later with no new decoders, no
> manual, and barely any infromation online.   
>
> They really need to get some more help, and do a
> better job at communication.  Matt cant do
> everything.

If Matt is US point man for ESU, it seems to me that providing a English manuals for the new V5 decoders would fall under his perview.  I'm reading a lot of complaints about not having English documentation out for the new generation decoders so the proverbial cart is in front of the horse.

I don't own any HO engines with the V5 but expect to in the coming weeks so.  Hopefully someone will have gotten in touch with Matt to find out what is going on and when an English manual is expected.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 03/12/19 07:06
Author: dh1205

checkmate007 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a scale trains Dash-9 there is an issue
> with CV's 2,5,6.  They reset themselvs no matter
> how I try to change them.  I had to use the speed
> table to get the right speeds for my engines.  
>
> Santiago

I have talked to Matt Herman about this. The V5s that are in the Scale Trains Dash-9s don’t have a CV6, they only have the full speed curve. That’s why it seems to reset themselves. He told me that they are adding CV6 back in on one of the next firmware updates.  I do like that we have the ability to do firmware updates ourselves. 

Date: 03/12/19 14:17

ESU makes Lok sound V5.0 direct decoders with "factory programmed" sound, no programming required as well as programmed EMD, GE or Alco sounds. I can not find anything about this on the ESU website but Tony's Train Exchange gives the parts numbers if you want to add to your cart. It looks like we will need to call ESU or a dealer direct for the information.

Here are some ESU numbers I found:

ESU 58821 PNP programmed
ESU 58420 8 pin factory sound
ESU 58410 8 pin EMD
ESU 58822 PNP EMD

It looks like I will go with Soundtraxx Tsunami2 2200 EMD-2 decoders if they are instock at Whistle Stop when I pass through in a couple of days. I have done about a half dozen installs of those already so there will be no surprises and I will learn about Lok sound V5.0 when my next batch of Scale Trains SD40-2s arrive.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0591 seconds