Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Model Railroading > Using very sharp turnouts

Date: 03/12/19 10:40
Using very sharp turnouts
Author: march_hare

I have a spot on my layout that was poorly planned, and requires a wye switch to reach into a loading area in a stone quarry. 

I went looking for a #4 or #5 wye switch at the LHS, and surprised myself when I found that Walthers makes both  a #2 and #2.5 wye switch in code 83. 

I assume these are mostly intended for trolley operations. But in this case, they could be
really helpful in laying out an industrial siding, if I can convince myself that they’ll actually work. The only traffic across this switch would be a single switcher with two short cement hoppers. Basically the switcher would pull the two hoppers through the switch, then reverse and shove the cars into the loader. The switcher would be an Atlas Alco S-2, orossibly a Bachmann EMD Model 40. 

Has as anybody used switches this short, and do you have any comments on reliability?

Date: 03/12/19 10:58
Re: Using very sharp turnouts
Author: CPR_4000

Might the fact that both sides of the turnout are curved mean that a No. 2 wye = a No. 4, and a No. 2.5 wye = a No. 5 switch?

Date: 03/12/19 11:28
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Yes, #2 wye switch  = #4 std switch , 2.5=5, etc.

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Might the fact that both sides of the turnout are
> curved mean that a No. 2 wye = a No. 4, and a No.
> 2.5 wye = a No. 5 switch?

Date: 03/12/19 11:29
Author: BlackWidow

I recently installed a Walthers/Shinohara #2 wye in my industrial yard and have had no problems.  Of course, I run slowly and have used only 40 or 50 foot cars on it.

Date: 03/12/19 13:54
Author: SP4360

I use quite a few shinohara code 83 2 and 2 1/2 wyes on my Fuubar Flats RR without any issues. I have cut some up to decrease the track centers to 14ft in the yard. 40 & 50 ft cars have no issues in any combinations going through these at any speed. do a search for Fubar Flats to see some more pics.

Date: 03/12/19 21:43
Author: SP4360

`

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds