Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Model Railroading > Latest Beatnik doings 358600

Date: 03/15/19 08:48
Latest Beatnik doings 358600
Author: dmaffei

Latest Beet rack off the production line. The 5 cars in photo three are completed and painted, 358600 is the first to get decals and weathered. Taking a break and working on SD9's so I don't burn out on Beet Gondolas.

Date: 03/15/19 09:08
Re: Latest Beatnik doings 358600
Author: trackplanner

Looks great Dave!

Date: 03/15/19 09:28
Author: SPDRGWfan

Very nice!  Even though I'm focusing on the D&RGW, I finally decided I wanted to create a beat train also in honor of the trains that used to travel past my neighborhood in Davis CA.  I've built up a fleet of 16 so far of the Red Caboose/IMRC SP beet gons but am going to need to learn how to weather them.  Your photo's are inspiring!  Now I just need the time but I'm a slave to finishing my basement for some months to come.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 03/15/19 15:13
Author: DKay

Just beautiful Dave.You are starting to see the fruits of your hard labour.
Stunning work.
Regards,DK

Date: 03/15/19 15:32
Author: SPED

They look beetiful....

Ed

Date: 03/15/19 16:50
Author: Santafes95

I know this has beena long road but it will be worth it. They look great. Hard to "beet." 

Date: 03/15/19 17:41
Author: PHall

You can almost smell the smell of the beets and the hot journal oil.

Date: 03/15/19 21:05
Author: bnsfsd70

Man, those look great!  How're you doing the weathering/paint on those?

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 03/16/19 09:51

bnsfsd70 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Man, those look great!  How're you doing the
> weathering/paint on those?
>
> - Jeff Carlson

Yes, please share.  I have some NIB beet gons that need some treatment similarly.

Date: 03/16/19 10:35
Author: hogheaded

Dave, are you intent upon recreating the entire beet fleet?

The first time that I woked a beet train, the brake rigging on one car became partially detached and caught a dragger. The other brakeman and I managed remedy the problem by utilizing some barb wire that we stole off of a farmer's fence. How about recreating that on a car? Luke Towan, I think it is, has a nice video on creating barb wire. Don't forget to properly position the cut out cock and drain the reservoir <G>

Ed Gibson

Date: 03/16/19 12:20

hogheaded Wrote:
> Dave, are you intent upon recreating the entire beet fleet?

EO,
This is car 48, shooting for 64. Built over a dozen with the custom extensions you see on the cars in this post. These cars were extended twice, two feet each time. This is the the extension somebody needs to 3D print for us Beatnik's.
It's stories like yours that make it such a cool train to model. Two others: 1) A beet rack falling apart on Altamont pass and SP scrapping it on site... 2) A heavy beet train slowing to a stop in town and the Fire department showed up as someone called saying "The depot was on fire" due to the brake smoke (Oil on wheels from leaking journals too) off the beet racks.. On and on, every SP employee who worked the "Roots" had a story. 
Weathering
Bring your patience first. For the worn wood look I used Pan Pastels in about 5 layers starting with lighter colors to darker for accents. Dullcoating after decals and between each layer. ( Being VERY careful to stay AWAY from the steel parts of the car. This is key as the steel needs to look darker as the prototype) The Pastels fade between coats and works well to control how much fade you want. After the fade you desire is achieved, I brush the wood area with plain water, just enough to dampen the area and use Vallejo black wash to fill the gaps between the boards to give a good contrast. this takes practice, but the results pull the weathering together. I blast and paint the trucks then use acrylic earth tones cut with water to give the trucks the look that tons of dirty beets have been dumped over them. Each car takes time, but after all, this is hobby...  (After 48 cars, you can see why I'm taking a break) I could do a small clinic on this process at BAPM, if asked, I did a clinic on how to build the extensions on these cars a few years back. That's what makes these modeling events fun, seeing other folks work and sharing ideas and techniques. 
Working on SP SD9's for a while... But will be back to the beet racks after a break... 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/19 12:26 by dmaffei.

Date: 03/16/19 12:36
Author: hogheaded

Aren't you actually a "beetnik", as opposed to "beat", sorta the opposite of the Beatles / beetles?

EO

Date: 03/16/19 13:02

hogheaded Wrote:
> Aren't you actually a "beetnik",
> EO

I like it !

Date: 03/16/19 13:34

Dave.

Thanks for posting your weathering tips for the beet gons.  I am stranged on the east coast so getting to BAPM is too far of a commute so wouldn't be able to attend a clinc. But I am a fan of the beet trains never the less.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 03/17/19 13:16
Author: forster

You are an artist Dave!

Impressive work!

Greetings from Europe

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds