Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Model Railroading > ScaleTrains SD40T-2 They have arrived...

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/16/19 14:30
ScaleTrains SD40T-2 They have arrived...
Author: wheel_slip

The big brown truck dropped off a box of goodies this morning... SD40T-2's from ScaleTrains.com 
These are simply the quintessential SD40T-2 models on the market and probably the best locomotive model yet from ScaleTrains.com The crispness of the tooling is one of the major standouts that give this model such an impressive look. The painting is awesome as is the lettering detail. If you have a good magnifying glass or readers, you can make out what each label says. Even the tool box on the walkway of the firemans side (SP model) is marked. After a close inspection, I found no shipping damage or sloppy applied parts on any of my four locomotives. These models are exceptional.
Operating the models I found they moved ever so slowly on the first speed step of 128. This is largely because of the superior motor control of the ESU LokSound decoder. I turned the master volume of the locomotive down to 25% before even running it on my test track. I have found this setting to be acceptable to listen to from about 3' distance. The sounds of the locomotives sound great as do the appropriate horns. All of my models have multiple lighting functions that are also quite impressive. Both the animated signal lights on the SP and D&RGW models are done quite well, probably the best I have seen on a factory model yet. The class lights can display white, red or green in DCC mode and the number board lights are separately lit. 
I really can't find anything to nitpick on with these models and to say I am anything but impressed is an understatement.
The attached video shows the different lighting effects except the UDE red signal light (I forgot to include that), but it works as well.

Andy 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/16/19 14:32
Re: ScaleTrains SD40T-2 They have arrived...
Author: wheel_slip

Three more shots with the cell phone...

Date: 03/16/19 14:59
Author: ghemr

Thanks for the quick review and sharp images! Indeed, they look great!!

Date: 03/16/19 16:28
Author: Chad

Those are absolutly gorgeous, the detail looks incredible. Thanks for posting I can hardly wait for my two to arrive. WOW

Date: 03/16/19 16:29
Author: SPDRGWfan

Very nice.

I have four as-delivered DRGW coming Monday, probably because I pre-ordered later than you. The SP look great too, but couldn't afford all.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/19 16:29 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 03/16/19 17:49
Author: sixaxlecentury

I think my biggest complaint (and this goes for all of their engines so far) is the numberboards.  They look to be printed from behind, which gives them a "behind glass" appearance.  Which, if it was a GP9 in the 50s would be one thing.. But it also shows the edges which should be gasketed, as clear, allowing the base color though.  You can see this on the DRGW one.  

Other then that, they look amazing, and I am rather looking forward to mine.  

Date: 03/16/19 18:18
Author: DKay

Those look amazing.How does the rear truck drive ?
Regards,DK

Date: 03/16/19 20:25
Author: BlackWidow

Mine came today as well.  Got home in the evening and it was in the mailbox, and only had a couple of minutes to check it out, but I will check it out at length tomorrow!  Beautiful engine!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/16/19 23:39
Author: photobob

Here's a couple of shots of the SP8307 in and around Dunsmuir in the early 1990's.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 03/17/19 08:22
Author: billmeeker

Those look awesome, right down to the rusty front coupler.  They sound awesome too.  The only thing I see missing in the details is the locomotive assigment underneath the cab, in this case "Los Angeles."

Date: 03/17/19 09:00
Author: obsessedfoamer

I think that came later, not sure, but I think it was early 80's.

Date: 03/17/19 09:46
Author: sanjacmodels

where the sp oil and dirt

Date: 03/17/19 10:00
Author: SP_8299

billmeeker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those look awesome, right down to the rusty front
> coupler.  They sound awesome too.  The only
> thing I see missing in the details is the
> locomotive assigment underneath the cab, in this
> case "Los Angeles."
>
>  

The maintenance homeport and work code lettering under the cab didn’t start appearing until the early 80s, as obsessedfoamer pointed out.  

Date: 03/17/19 12:04
Author: OregonOldGuy

These sure do loook nice!  Almost makes me want to get back into modeling!  Now we need some CCTX cars for them to pull!

Rob

Date: 03/17/19 23:27
Author: fr8kar

What a great shot, Rob! If you have any more CCTX shots I'd love to see them, especially the 4200cf gondolas.

Date: 03/18/19 04:27
Author: SPDRGWfan

Coleto Creek coal cars to Texas?  IIRC there were  several types of coal cars on that train, including hi-side coal gondolas as well as the bathtub type.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 03/18/19 21:21
Author: 4745

Managed to get a great photo of a double rotary gondola as well.
Graham.

Date: 03/19/19 11:42
Author: Matt_Gidley

Looks amazing! Do they have see through photoetched steps per chance?

Date: 03/20/19 13:55
Author: SD40T-2

...of course

Date: 03/20/19 15:19
Author: Matt_Gidley

Thanks and WOW!  I have to start saving now for when the 90's era models hit.

SD40T-2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...of course

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0636 seconds