Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Model Railroading > Loksound 73700 board discontinued. What is replacement?

Date: 03/18/19 21:11
Loksound 73700 board discontinued. What is replacement?
Author: dmaffei

Anyone have info on the replacement board for the 73700? What will the improvements be? Thanks for any info 

Date: 03/18/19 21:26
Re: Loksound 73700 board discontinued. What is replacement?
Author: sixaxlecentury

Date: 03/19/19 11:09
Author: RioGrandeFan

Yep the V5 DCC Direct is the replacement....but.....I have been told by ESU there was a manufacturing issue with the Micro V5's. A Micro is mounted on a "motherboard" using the Next18 socket for the Direct decoder. I was told that there is no ETA for these as they are "significantly delayed". 

Hopefully in the coming weeks the 58420 8-pin and the 58429 21-pin retail versions will start to ship. When that happens, we'll have to use the 58420 and cut the 8-pin plug off and wire them into locomotives that would otherwise use the Direct board until the Directs are available. 

The V5 has significant updates over the Selects. Biggest improvement is 4 times more sound file space so there are A LOT more sounds than before. That along with 2 times better sound quality, now 16-bit sound. A lot more internal logic, there's now both an Independent Brake and an Automatic Brake and the Automatic Brake has 3 customizable levels of braking force depending on train size. They have added a few more bell sounds and two new brake squeals. The files that have been relased so far still have 16 horns. I do think there is the ability to have more loaded though. There's also a new "load mode" feature again depending on train size and whether it is loaded or empty or just light power. Finer control of the motor parameters and a new parameter to get rid of the buzz/hum at low speeds. A finer multiplier for the momentum settings too. They've also added 4 functions, now up to 32 functions. This is kind of useless since DCC systems can only control up to 28. Once these V5's really get rolling they are going to be stellar, it is just going to take some time for them to get rolling and the true V5 sound files to be completed. There are 4 retail files posted now.

Patience is really going to be a virtue when it comes to these V5's.

Lee Ryan
Denver, CO

Date: 03/19/19 12:57
Author: brfriedm

Rumor has it that new board replacement will be months off and that is the most popular board by far. ESU really screwed up here.  Bruce

Date: 03/19/19 18:45
Author: dmaffei

Thanks.... This is the information I was looking for. I can wait till they get the bugs out.

Date: 03/20/19 09:35
Author: fbe

I was looking for something V5.0 for a quick project to do a couple of free-mo travel units for the summer. An 8 pin decoder would work but finding anything out there on the open market ran into a lot of dead ends. I ended up with a pair of Soundtraxx Tsunami2-EMD-2 hardwired decoders so the project will be done right after I get back from this weekend's road trip. I already have experience with this decoder and did not need any features of the 1.2 software here.

The units are P2K SD45s which have spent most of their lives parked in a hidden storage track. They pull like a locomotive and there is room for the decoder. I may have to remove some wieght if I use more than 1 cube speaker.

My ESU V5.0 speakers will come from Scale Trains in May with SD40-2s

Both Lok Sound and Tsunami are in a transitional phase right now so it will be some time for the changes for the owner to get worked out. The V5.o changes are getting forced upon us if we are buying new locomotives and there are tsunami2 decoders coming that way as well. The Soundtraxx products come with much better documentation so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/19 09:42 by fbe.

Date: 03/20/19 10:22
Author: Hookdragkick

Just going off RG Fan's post, with the v5.0, you could load more horns than the 16 that are loaded for a certain engine? I really need a 567D3 prime mover with a Leslie A200, but no offerings for that model. The alternative is Soundtraxx.

Date: 03/20/19 10:34
Author: fbe

Regarding the 32 functions with a 28 function controller, it would seem like you could map any of the 27-31 functions you want to use to one of the 0-28 function control buttons for a function you are not going to use. If you are not going to use Fireman Freddy, passenger train announcements or dispatcher instructions you might swap those F buttons with something in the upper range you can use.

0 for headlights count as one of the 32 functions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/19 06:15 by fbe.

Date: 03/20/19 13:03
Author: RioGrandeFan

Hookdragkick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just going off RG Fan's post, with the v5.0, you
> could load more horns than the 16 that are loaded
> for a certain engine? I really need a 567D3 prime
> mover with a Leslie A200, but no offerings for
> that model. The alternative is Soundtraxx.

Yes with the V5 you can do this. A true V5 file for the 567D3 hasn't been released yet but I'm sure it will be at some point. For the time being you can use the V4 567D3 file on the V5 decoder and then swap in the Leslie A200 horn from the Template Pack. Pretty easy to do. When the true V5 file for the 567D3 is released it may come with the Leslie A200 pre-loaded, but if not it will be an easy swap. 

Lee Ryan  - Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 03/22/19 01:36
Author: Hookdragkick

!Gracias! RG Fan.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0581 seconds