Home Open Account Help 183 users online

Model Railroading > LokSound V4 issue-Scaletrains SD40-2

Date: 03/22/19 18:31
LokSound V4 issue-Scaletrains SD40-2
Author: bigmc83

Hi everyone,

I've got a Scaletrains NS Rivet Counter SD40-2 that features the factory equipped Loksound V4 sound decoder.  I'm having problems with it running intermittently and the lights flashing (like loss of power).  I've contacted Scaletrains, and they're willing to help, but I'd like to exhaust all my options before paying the repair fee.  I've noticed the following symptoms:
1.  It does not do this when run independently, only when consisted
2.  Other locos run just fine while this one flickers, so I don't think it's dirty track.  The wheels look clean.
3.  It does it in both forward and reverse
4.  I have not tested if it being the lead loco matters (Digitrax system and consisting)
5.  I've removed the shell and don't see anything odd, but it's tough to tell considering the 21 pin interface and nicely packaged wiring under the shell.  The wiper pick-ups to the trucks also look intact

I do not have access to JMRI right now, so programming is a little challenging.  The unit has also lived in it's box for the past year due to moving and relocation, but I do not recall it behaving like this previously in the little run time it has had.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean McCaffery
Zionsville, IN

Date: 03/22/19 18:59
Re: LokSound V4 issue-Scaletrains SD40-2
Author: tehachapifan

Something you may want to evaluate is how far the locos are from the nearest track feeder(s) when it acts up. This seems to be an issue on my (N scale) layout, which has admittedly FAR too few track feeders, and some of my sound-equipped locos will start to studder or even stall in these areas. This also occurs more when these locos are in a consist vs. running solo as you described. I think this is because the consist as a whole is drawing more power and may cause the power to drop too low in one or more of the sound-equipped locos and they start studdering. Something to consider anyway. Hopefully someone with a little more expertise will chime-in and clarify further.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/19 19:02 by tehachapifan.

Date: 03/22/19 20:55
Author: ChrisCampi

The light board might be worth looking into since it also contains the power packs and your having intermittent power issues which the power packs should absorb. I had one fail for lightning problems. ST was very good at getting me a replacement.

Date: 03/23/19 16:12
Author: wheel_slip

Interesting situation... I have a similar issue with the ScaleTrains SD40T-2's although only two of them. Last Sunday I was running a consist of 5 SD40T-2's. I experienced the flickering light issue on two of the locomotives. I have had no issues using my NCE or ESU DCC systems at home, but at a club using DigiTrax, I had a unit with flickering lights such as you describe. It seems to be an issue with Digitrax and ESU??? Maybe.

Andy

Date: 03/24/19 13:23
Author: brfriedm

I have over 50 engines with Loksound 4 and now a few with Loksound 5(Scale Trains T4's)

I obviously use Digitrax. No flickering issues here. 

Bruce

wheel_slip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting situation... I have a similar issue
> with the ScaleTrains SD40T-2's although only two
> of them. Last Sunday I was running a consist of 5
> SD40T-2's. I experienced the flickering light
> issue on two of the locomotives. I have had no
> issues using my NCE or ESU DCC systems at home,
> but at a club using DigiTrax, I had a unit with
> flickering lights such as you describe. It seems
> to be an issue with Digitrax and ESU??? Maybe.
>
> Andy
>  

Date: 03/25/19 17:50
Author: bigmc83

Thanks everyone.  This is still a problem, but the comment about the # of feeders has me thinking I probably need more.  I'm using suitcase connectors to attach the feeder to the bus, and I'm not sure how I feel about that method....I'll probably try adding a few more feeders and see if anything changes.  

-Sean

Date: 03/25/19 18:41
Author: TCnR

If using suitcase connectors make sure you use the 3M brand, there are other makers out there and many people, including me, report intermittant performance with them. The 3M connectors seem to be at or near 100% reliable. Some big box stores have them, a good source is using Amazon. Good price, good connector.

bigmc83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks everyone.  This is still a problem, but
> the comment about the # of feeders has me thinking
> I probably need more.  I'm using suitcase
> connectors to attach the feeder to the bus, and
> I'm not sure how I feel about that method....I'll
> probably try adding a few more feeders and see if
> anything changes.  
>
> -Sean

Date: 03/25/19 20:42
Author: fbe

I buy the 3M brand of connectors but buy the ones for the same size on both sides of the connectors. I think this keeps the pressure on the metal connector the same. In the side for the diverging connector I use a 1"-2" pigtail the same gauge wire as the main wire. I strip the end of the pigtail then solder the finer gauge wire line to lead to it's destination.

These connections work well so far but none of them have a year of service.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0376 seconds