Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn Genesis SD70 issue - Solved

Date: 04/12/19 17:53
Athearn Genesis SD70 issue - Solved
Author: flippin77

So bought this probably a year or more ago at a swap "New" from a well known dealer in the midwest and first time I put it on the tracks it rattled, vibrated and sounded like the old baseball card you put in the spokes of your bike when you were a kid. I took the rear truck out and completely disassembled and inspected it for any kind of contamination or dirt and couldnt find anything. Put the rear truck back in and it still made the same noises. Spotted in one of my engine facilites and it sat ever since. Tonight thought was a good night as any to tackle this yet again. So removed everything this time starting with the rear speaker housing and first thing I saw was this screw that had toed out the two-piece housing and after further discovery noticed this screw was also riding directly on the driveshaft! Needless to say, I removed the screw and she's in service now. Amazing this made it thru "inspection" with the way it sounded!

Andy/Metamora,IL

Date: 04/13/19 07:01
Re: Athearn Genesis SD70 issue - Solved
Author: jburek

That screw may have come loose during the shipping process after it had passed inspection.

Date: 04/13/19 07:03
Re: Athearn Genesis SD70 issue - Solved
Author: shortliner

It is when you see faults like that, that it makes you wonder if there IS any inspection - stuff it in the box qiick, and head off home - its Friday afternoon!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0275 seconds