Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Model Railroading > Walther's new passenger train

Date: 04/14/19 11:28
Walther's new passenger train
Author: ATSF3751

Looks like Walther's is releasing a new train. I got the info from another blog site. It said to go to Walthers.com for more info, but I was unable to locate. Maybe someone else will have better luck. Anyway, as the story goes, an offical announcement will be made April 17th. 

Here is a clue as to what it will be. 

"Rolling greenhouses glimpsing the dales and the dells
Heralded forthwith by a trio of bells
Three passenger units to bear the load
Nothing by earth or sky tops this speedy railroad"

Me thinks it is the Olympian Hiawatha. I think "dells" and "sky tops"  may be the giveaways. (lol) Based on the MILW cars already released, it would make sense to add the 3 car types for what is essentially a new "name" train. 

New car types required:

Skytop Pullman 8 bedroom lounge
10-6 Pullman 
14 section Pullman Touralux

Also, importantly.....Walther's has offered the Erie Built FM locomotives previously. The Olympian Hiawatha began service with an A-B-A combination. The one problem may be the original windshield which on the first run of Erie Built locomotives was different (smaller) then subsequent locos. MILW's Erie Built's had the smaller windshield and remarkably large chrome trim on the nose. 
Walther's Erie Builts had the large windshield found on the later versions. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/19 11:40 by ATSF3751.

Date: 04/14/19 12:51
Re: Walther's new passenger train
Author: WAF

Could use a SP Sunset???

Date: 04/14/19 14:56
Author: RRBMail

Here we go again...a recycled "NEW" train, a la UP 1960s, ATSF SF Chief, etc. How about The Texas Special, Sunset Limited, North Coast Limited or a Florida train? Okay, the Sunset, The Texas Special and the Florida trains may be out account their so-called "divided coachs" i.e. their "Jim Crow" Cars. So that leaves the NCL. A wonderful train, so let's do it and get by Walther's usual wishy-washy muddle!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/19 14:59 by RRBaron.

Date: 04/14/19 15:52
Author: ATSF3751

RRBaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here we go again...a recycled "NEW" train, a la UP
> 1960s, ATSF SF Chief, etc. How about The Texas
> Special, Sunset Limited, North Coast Limited or a
> Florida train? Okay, the Sunset, The Texas Special
> and the Florida trains may be out account their
> so-called "divided coachs" i.e. their "Jim Crow"
> Cars. So that leaves the NCL. A wonderful train,
> so let's do it and get by Walther's usual
> wishy-washy muddle!

I know, frustrating. Still, if you look at it from the point of the Manufacturer, adding a few cars to create an entirely new train is a no-brainer for Walthers. The UP 1960's version seems to be selling well. 

Date: 04/14/19 17:11
Author: arizonaBNSF

I'm gonna place my bets on either the Santa Fe 'El Capitan' or the B&O 'George Washington'. Haven't produced those enough yet. 

Date: 04/15/19 05:55
Author: ssw

Well, I'm really hoping for an Olympian Hiawatha. Given the hints of the Dells, and "sky tops" - I'd say it's a decent bet

Date: 04/15/19 09:31
Author: fbe

When the Erie builts were delivered they were set up to run as A-B-B configuration. That proved challenging when the trains were pulled from Tacoma to Seattle. Rather that turning the consist at Tacoma and Seattle the MILW just added extra A units to their next Erie Built order to run A-B-A consists which did not need to be turned.

I have been told by more than one sound decoder manufacturers there are no FM sound files available for C Liners and Erie Builts. We will have to see how Walthers works this out. There are lots of 8 and 10 cyl FM opposed piston prime movers in the oil drilling industry so maybe they are working with these sounds. FM is still manufacturing an updated verstion of the OP as well as parts for Alco 251s in Beloit. Their website is interesting reading.

I hope Walthers comes through for the MILW people. It would also be nice if they sold the new cars separately so us westerners can buy what we need to convert our Hiawathas to the Olympian trains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/19 09:53 by fbe.

Date: 04/15/19 19:53
Author: Chipp21

For an Olympian consist, a Baggage -Dormitory would  be necessary. A Mail(RPO) & Express car would also be nice.

Date: 04/15/19 21:09
Author: sp3811

The George Washington  was C&O rather than B&O..

Date: 04/15/19 22:38
Author: PHall

Milwaukee Road cars can also be used with UP cars on the various City trains.
Something that Walthers might have in mind.

Date: 04/16/19 09:09
Author: 4489

Plus SKYTOP and sleeping cars in CN Grey and black!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/19 16:19 by 4489.

Date: 04/17/19 11:09
Author: ssw

New FP7's but a rehash of the Twin Cities Hi.

Was really hoping they'd tool up the extra cars and offer an Olympian Hi. 

Date: 04/17/19 12:28
Author: espee4ever

Twin Cities Hiawatha it is!

Date: 04/17/19 12:49
Author: ts1457

ssw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> New FP7's but a rehash of the Twin Cities Hi.
>
> Was really hoping they'd tool up the extra cars
> and offer an Olympian Hi. 

Is there a webpage for the announcement?

Date: 04/17/19 16:13
Author: fbe

OK, that saves a bucket of money buying the new cars needed to upgrade the two TC trains I have to the Oly His I want to have.

Date: 04/17/19 17:40
Author: djansson

NCL would just need a Travelers Rest and the 4-4-4 dome sleeper, in additrion to the cars already out for the Empire Builder....?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0785 seconds