Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Model Railroading > Reading FTdiesel question

Date: 05/05/19 11:08
Reading FTdiesel question
Author: conrail4123

I'm up dating my reading FT 's  hobbytown multi-drive with a can motor &dcc.Did the FT have diaphagms on both a&b unit,also looking for pictures for roof details.Thanks for any help you can give me.

Date: 05/05/19 12:33
Re: Reading FTdiesel question
Author: perklocal

FTs definitely had diaphragms in between the drawbar connected A & B units, as well as the rear of the B units. Some railroads put 2 sets of FTs back to back to create the ABBA set up. I found this picture on page 17 in a book titled "Rails Around Reading" by Benjamin L. Bernhart. The undated photo shows the 252A&B making a back up move at Klapperthal Jct. to deliver a cut of coal to the Met-Ed Titus Power Plant. The photo didn't scan very well,but you can still see the diaphragm on the back of 252B. Hope this helps. Couldn't come up with a good overhead shot, but I'll keep looking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/19 12:34 by perklocal.

Date: 05/05/19 13:06
Author: boejoe

Note illuminated back-up light and unusual marker lamps.  DF-1 class under road number was Diesel Freight-1 (first in series)

Date: 05/05/19 17:38
Author: CPR_4000

Interesting move. No back-up hose -- I wonder if the FT's had radio by this time (probably early 60's before the FT's were traded in on GP30's).

Date: 05/06/19 09:46
Author: fbe

This is the front end of the B unit where the cab would be if there was one. There could well be a stand up pipe with an emergency brake valve near the door.

Date: 05/06/19 11:44
Author: PHall

Or the engineer is controlling the move from the cab with the brakeman in the rear door providing protection.
It's not like the engineer and fireman are running totally blind here.

Date: 05/06/19 14:50
Author: CPR_4000

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or the engineer is controlling the move from the
> cab with the brakeman in the rear door providing
> protection.
> It's not like the engineer and fireman are running
> totally blind here.

How is the brakeman providing protection if he can't see the engineer?

Date: 05/06/19 18:22
Author: fbe

If the brakeman can dump the air from inside the B he is in control. Once the move gets close to a switch the engineer will stop and the brakeman will line them in and take a position on the rear side srep and pass hand signals to the engineer to complete the move. There may be another crewmember on the ground at the work site passing signals to the engineer.

Don't make this more difficult than it is or make the crew's actions reckless or unsafe. All members of this crew have likely done this move repeatedly over years of service.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0325 seconds