Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Model Railroading > Scale Trains and Lok sound V5.0 stuff

Date: 05/13/19 22:50
Scale Trains and Lok sound V5.0 stuff
Author: fbe

I received an email from Scale Trains telling me it was time to pay off my preorder of the run 4 of Rivetcounter SD40-2 MILW Rd locomotives. These will come with Loksound v5.0 21 pin decoders.

The Scale Trains website announces they are selling these v5.0 decoders as loose items and will include software for their locomotives if you ask for it at no charge. The decoder # is 58429.

My SD40-2 power should be in Missoula say Tuesday. I guess it is time to upgrade my Lok programmer firmware for v5.0 decoders.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/19 11:47 by fbe.

Date: 05/14/19 06:31
Re: Scale Trains and Lok sound V5.0 stuff
Author: Frank30

A few months back I tried to get some  of the 21 pin decoders for the F40PH engine they did
which did not come w/sound. At that time they said they were out of the version 4 and that
version 5 was in the works.
So if I order 58429 and specify engine type, (F40PH) , the sounds for this aftermarket
decoder will be the same as those decoders installed at the factory or is there some
secret handshake involved?  I assume I will need to download an instruction manual
for version 5 for future use.
I want to eliminate anything that can cause a problem.
P.S.: Just reread your heading, you're talking Scale Trains and my question is about Rapido.
But I guess the same questions apply.  I know you're going to say " Ask Rapido", but I'd
appreciate your thoughts on this.
Thanks for your help.
Frank30

Date: 05/14/19 07:16

If you order the v5.0 decoder from Scale Trains I doubt they will have sound files for a Rapido locomotive. For Lok sound v4.0 decoders ESU's website has a downloads link for the sound files for all the manufacturers' sound files and you can download them from ESU. I have not checked out ESU for this feature for v5.0 yet. I used the ESU download for Rapido locos with Lok sound v4.0 before. So far ESU does not have sound files for F40 units.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/19 11:50 by fbe.

Date: 05/14/19 07:40

The ST photo of the Lok sound v5.0 21 pin decoder shows a line of 11 solder connection tabs on the open end. Finally it looks like we are going to gain access to some of those 21 pins. Thanks, ESU. There are also 22 solder points on the plug end of the decoder but they are not set for easy access like the open end tabs are.

The ST delivery schedule has not been updated since 4/4/19 so I can't actually tell if my units are on shore until that is updated or I receive a shipping notice.

UPDATE:

I now have a UPS tracking number so my Lok sound V5.0 decoders inside MILW 156 and others should be on the road this afternoon. They will join my MILW -2s from an earlier run with Lok sound V4.0 sound.

UPDATE II:

It is Monday and UPS wakes up again. The models spent the weekend in Glendive, MT. Departure was before 0800 this morning headed for Billings. The package should swap trucks there and arrive in Missoula during the night and be loaded in the big brown truck for delivery.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/19 11:15 by fbe.

Date: 05/14/19 08:56
Author: rapidotrains

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you order the v5.0 decoder from Scale Trains I
> doubt they will have sound files for a Rapido
> locomotive. For Lok sound v4.0 decoders ESU's
> website has a downloads link for the sound files
> for all the manufacturers' sound files and you can
> download them from ESU. I have not checked out ESU
> for this feature for v5.0 yet. I used the ESU
> download for Rapido locos with Lok sound v4.0
> before.

Just FYI while ESU has downloads that will fit our locomotives, they do not have our sounds. Our sounds are either recorded by us or customized by us so ESU doesn't normally allow them to be downloaded. If they did, please let me know so I can raise a stink! :-D

We are in the process of having our sound files all converted to V5. Unfortunately it's not as easy as pressing a button. But Mohan (our chief project dude) is working with Jürgen (ESU's president) to get it down as quickly as possible. 

-Jason

Date: 05/14/19 09:00

ATTN: Frank30

The ESU site does not have v5.0 sound files for the F40 locos.

The Rapido site shows what looks like a v4.0 decoder which can be ordered with an F40 sound. You might email them to find out if the v4.0 files will work in the v5.0 decoders and if they can send you the file or give you a download like. I did not check to see if ESU has a v4.0 F40 download link available.

The v5.0 announcement from Scale Trains is new since Monday so perhaps Rapido is catching up.

Good luck, please let us know how it works out.

Alan

Date: 05/14/19 09:04
Author: sixaxlecentury

All V4 files will work in V5s.  

Date: 05/14/19 09:10

Jason,

Thanks for picking up on the conversation and providing a useful response.

I note your site shows a Lok sound V4.0 decoder with F40 sound is in the 'see your dealer' catagory meaning sold out at Rapido. So for now it is a waiting game.

I was not aware your sound files are exclusive and not downloadable through ESU, I will keep that in mind.

Date: 05/21/19 12:24

The models arrived in fine shape. It may take a few days to get them test runs and renumbered.

The 156 blue is darker than the color on the ST web page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/19 14:36 by fbe.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0544 seconds