Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Model Railroading > Jim “Termite” Hasbrouck

Date: 05/14/19 08:51
Jim “Termite” Hasbrouck
Author: Streamliner

There is a thread in the Railroader’s Nostalgia forum, saying that Jim “Termite” Hasbrouck has passed away.  

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?18,4766266

Being “THE” regular customer at Allied Model Trains for decades, I thought I would post this here.  Jim was a conductor on the S.P. for what seemed like FOREVER!  I think if you look up “Southern Pacific” in the dictionary, there will be a picture of Termite!

When I bought Allied Models in 1975, Jim was already a fixture there.  One day, shortly after taking over, I came back from lunch, only to find him standing behind the cash register, with the cash drawer open, going through the change!  I was ready to explode, but was quickly informed by my one and only employee, Maynard Priest, that Termite had been allowed to do this by the previous owners for years.  Jim was looking for old coins, which he collected.  I got over it, as I came to find that Jim was one of the most honest people I would ever know.

As it turned out, in those early days, when I truly struggled to stay afloat, the almost daily visits and purchases by Termite were very much appreciated.  Jim was still a fixture at the new store on Sepulveda and one of the last customers I bid farewell when I sold the business in 2007.  

R.I.P. dear friend, you were one of a kind!

​Hope you are all well,

Allen Drucker

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/19 09:03 by Streamliner.

Date: 05/16/19 00:27
Re: Jim “Termite” Hasbrouck
Author: Fizzboy7

Jim ventured over to The Roundhouse after Allied closed, then to my shop after The Roundhouse closed.   I had the pleasure of knowing him for about one year before his health took a dive.   Jim was one who taught me much.   I was very intimidated by him at first, as he came across as stern and gruff.   But as time went by, he turned out to be a funny, friendly, honest, and loyal person.   To say he helped pay the rent at times would be accurate.   To say he loved trains would be accurate.   To say it was a hoot to hear of his r/r stories would be accurate.    To say he was an incredible photographer would be accurate.    When Jim stopped answering his phone, I had a bad feeling.

His friend Bob Hensley was also by his side for years, taking him around to the shops and to Costco (Jim's other favorite place) when he could no longer drive.   Jim was a collector of many things, including railroad locks, artifacts, and of course anything SP, Rock Island, and Milwaukee Road.    Here is a pic of him rumaging through a book, only to point out an author's mistake.

We miss Jim as a friend and customer.   His family is also dealing with other serious illness, so they have their hands full.    But I'm told a future service may pop up.

Jason Eminian
Smith Brothers Hobby Center

Date: 05/16/19 04:56
Author: SPDRGWfan

Jim sounds like someone I would have like to have made his acquaintence.  Some of these old timers have a lot of wonderful storys to tell and listen to.  Perhaps it's a reminder to value these dear friends while they are with us and cherish their memories when they are gone.  My father is 88 and his memory is going, but some years back my sister took a walk with him in the small Iowa town where he grew up and chatted with him with a video camera and he related all kinds of memories while.  She preserved them for us to cherish in the future.

Condolences to "Termite" and his family

Date: 05/16/19 14:09
Author: Fizzboy7

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim sounds like someone I would have like to have
> made his acquaintence.  Some of these old timers
> have a lot of wonderful storys to tell and listen
> to.  Perhaps it's a reminder to value these dear
> friends while they are with us and cherish their
> memories when they are gone.  My father is 88 and
> his memory is going, but some years back my sister
> took a walk with him in the small Iowa town where
> he grew up and chatted with him with a video
> camera and he related all kinds of memories
> while.  She preserved them for us to cherish in
> the future.
>
> Condolences to "Termite" and his family

That is the value of existing hobby/train shops.  They are gathering spots for colorful fellows like Jim, your father, and the hundreds of others who have a long, interesting history.    You cannot put a quantitative number on how important that is.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds