Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Model Railroading > Are you ever thrilled to just run trains?

Date: 05/15/19 14:06
Are you ever thrilled to just run trains?
Author: pal77

We moved to a new home in late '17 so old layout got packed up and a new one started at the new home a little over a year ago.  Didn't throw too much time but made slow and steady progress and yesterday finally completed the main line.  Which is a continuous run that serves as a rolling staging yard while I work in the yards or on branches.  Thus far two lower level staging yards the main with 10 main tracks and a reverse loop capable of holding 22 40car + 3 6 axle locomotives reached by a series of ramps an 3 turn helix.  The second yard works off a branch which connects to an industrial spur coal loads in empties out style.  And of course the main is complete nothing else but I ran some trains.  Layout is annalog old school style.  2 Videos are attatched just having some fun will update when more work and senery gets done.  sorry for the poor quality hand held cell phone.
Vid 1 west meets east at 1st of 2 siding on the 300' main.  All lower tracks will eventually be hidden and all you will see here is the main.
Vid 2 same siding other end industrial spur with power plant will occupy space to left of main you can see the helix going down to staging below the train.
Enjoy!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/15/19 15:07
Re: Are you ever thrilled to just run trains?
Author: tomstp

I've done that a lot with some cold Coors in my hand.  But, never without a caboose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/19 15:08 by tomstp.

Date: 05/16/19 05:27
Author: santafedan

An old axium: complete the mainline and the construction stops.  Beware!

Date: 05/16/19 06:13

santafedan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An old axium: complete the mainline and the
> construction stops.  Beware

Yeah. Guarding against that. Lots of work and to the prior poster. I prefer craft beer latest favorite is Railbender by Erie Brewing. Bought it because of the name but the beer is really good.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/16/19 08:44
Author: BlackWidow

For me, the scenery has to be in placd to be satisfied with just watching the trains run.  The scenery doesn't have to be finished, just something there to suggest reality.

Date: 05/16/19 12:15
Author: tq-07fan

Once you get everything done will you still use the 'Rolling Staging Yard' concept, which is an intriguing concept.

Oh, and the answer is yes, it is nice to see trains running if you are without a loyout for any period of time.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/19 12:16 by tq-07fan.

Date: 05/16/19 15:43

tq-07fan Wrote:
> Once you get everything done will you still use
> the 'Rolling Staging Yard' concept, which is an
> intriguing concept.

> Jim
Yeah I'm mostly solo so trains run on the main while you work in yards or branches.  Eventually when(if) I build the upper level which will end in a 4-5 track stub end staging yard I will be able to run point to point.  But for now this is it.  Also right now there is a second 4 track staging that allows for point to point, while it ties in with an indutrial lead for coal loads out emties in fashion it also ties in with the main staging so I can run bring trains up the other direction if need be. 

Date: 05/16/19 17:48
Author: TomG

Great work, what is the radius on your curves?

Date: 05/17/19 03:38

TomG Wrote:
> Great work, what is the radius on your curves?
On the main the min is 36” in first clip it’s 40&42 2nd 36&38. Thank you.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/17/19 10:44
Author: jjd0618psd

Glad to see you run E-L & NYS&W units.  Is there any particular area of the 2 RRs that you are modeling?

Date: 05/17/19 16:51

jjd0618psd Wrote:
> Glad to see you run E-L & NYS&W units.  Is there
> any particular area of the 2 RRs that you are
> modeling?
Not specifically i would like to be able to do the Delaware Division from Port to Binghamton but it’s not realistic so I instead chose to try and get the Erie feel but protofreelance some towns and locations while naming them after family members ie main yard will loosely resemble Port Jervis but will be named Port Anthony after my late father.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/21/19 05:57
Author: navarch2

santafedan Wrote:
> An old axium: complete the mainline and the
> construction stops.  Beware!

...if only......lolol...

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds