Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Model Railroading > BNSF moving grain over Tehachapi

Date: 05/15/19 21:52
BNSF moving grain over Tehachapi
Author: tgcostello

I'm sharing a series of photos taken last weekend at the La Mesa Club's Tehachapi Pass exhibit at the San Diego Model Railroad Museum.  Photos were taken with a "point and shoot" scale Canon G12.  The size of this camera allowed me to place it on or near the tracks with a "bean bag" to stabilize the camera allowing for stopped down images with some modicum of depth of field.  

Head end power included a trio of Tower 55 BNSF GEVO's and an Athearn KCS SD70ACe.  An OMI BNSF H1 C44-9W and a Genesis SD75M in H2 served as DPU.  Between the head end and DPU were 3 dozen covered hoppers of Athearn Genesis, Athearn RtR Trinity 5161 design and Scale Trains Gunderson 5188 cubic foot capacity.  I spent several months weathering these hoppers to make them suitable for operations a the La Mesa Club.  Taking on so many models at one time was an incredible challenge, I weathered a total of 40 models, but more than 36 yields a train that won't fit into several key sidings.

The train doesn't change across these photos, but the scenery sure does. I consider this a grateful acknowledgment to my fellow La Mesa Club members who have built this magnificent railroad.  My next step is weathering up the motive power.  Enjoy.

Tim Costello

BNSF7632 at: Allard, Woodford and again at Allard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/19 21:54 by tgcostello.

Date: 05/15/19 21:56
Re: BNSF moving grain over Tehachapi

BNSF 7656 East at Bealville, and Walong....

Date: 05/15/19 21:58

BNSF 7656 is now westbound below Walong/Tehachapi Loop, approachign Cliff and at Allard.

Date: 05/15/19 21:59

The final photo is taken as the westbound train is almost through its descent of the Tehachapi Mountains and approaching Caliente, CA.

Date: 05/16/19 09:25
Author: Hookdragkick

Awesome looking Grainer! The varying shades of hoppers is pretty realistic. 

Date: 05/16/19 14:21
Author: Txtrainman60

VERY nice layout but the motive power is WAY to clean.

Date: 05/16/19 14:59
Author: PasadenaSub

Any derailment issues with running helpers on a model train - or are the speeds matched very precisely between the two sets of power?

Very nice models and pictures, BTW.

Rich

Date: 05/16/19 15:28

Rich:
I have a 10' programming track at home that includes a speedometer.  Speed matching to set parameters, 25mph at speed step 16, enables close speed matching of units in consist.  I've not had a problem on these covered hoppers, coal hoppers or intermodal wellcars.  I wouldn't be anxious to try out DPU on 89' auto racks or pig flats.
Tim Costello

Date: 05/16/19 20:38
Author: MojaveBill

"The Worm!"

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 05/16/19 21:39
Author: bnsfsd70

Looks great!

- Jeff 

Date: 05/17/19 17:27
Author: Coast

There's another member at La Mesa who runs long trains with helper power. He too seems to have his stuff speed matched well.  

His YouTube channel features a lot of his stuff with helpers.  One example on his channel is "Souther Pacific Unit Potash Over Tehachapi" [color=var(--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-color, var(--yt-spec-text-primary))] [/color]

Date: 05/20/19 05:40
Author: myoungwisc

Impressivet train Tim!

Martin

Date: 05/20/19 20:55
Author: CliftonRailMuseum

Wow. Super layout.
Where is that layout located?

Date: 05/21/19 06:55

San Diego Model Railroad Museum, Balboa Park, San Diego California.

Date: 05/21/19 07:44
Author: Corpach

An absolutely stunning set of photos and what an amazing layout. Another retired UK railwayman and myself had a road trip around Arizona and California last year wich encompassed the Canyon Verde R/R, the Apache R/R (Now that was a railfan friendly R/R) the usual Transcon action, Orange County Museum, Plaster City plus a lot of mileage away from the Interstates which certainly led to some interesting locations. Coyote Wells to San Diego via S2 and Banner being one of the more awesome trips. 

We ended up in San Diego with the railroad museum in Balboa Park on the Must-do list. After having a good look around we starting talking to the operators, it turned out it was a running day & we had discovered Time Travel as it was the early 50's on Tecachapi with the layout being worked under Train Orders with Operators & a Dispatcher. 

Once the operators discovered we were both retired operating railwaymen with an interest in US railroading we were invited to jump the fence and spent the next eight hours behind the scenes.

A wonderful day with a very friendly and hospitable bunch of railway modellers. Being asked to sign the register at Kern Jcn after being the Conductor on a train into Bakersfield was indeed a highlight of the day. 

I shall return !! :-)

Date: 05/21/19 08:23
Author: brfriedm

Awesome layout and have been there many times and have participated in a couple of operating sessions. To be honest, it is getting abit tiring seeing folks take pictures of their brand new shiny RTR engines pulling their brand new RTR shiny freight cars on this layout. Does not look like that in the real world and this layout with it's majestic and very accurate scenery deserves better IMHO. I know, I know, this will not be a popular statement but I am only stating my opinion and nothing more. Bruce

Date: 05/22/19 22:42
Author: chakk

In the four 1950's operating sessions that I've participated in over the past 13 months, I don't think I ever saw shiny new locomotives pulling shiny new trains.

Date: 05/23/19 02:35
Author: glendale

brfriedm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Awesome layout and have been there many times and
> have participated in a couple of operating
> sessions. To be honest, it is getting abit tiring
> seeing folks take pictures of their brand new
> shiny RTR engines pulling their brand new RTR
> shiny freight cars on this layout. Does not look
> like that in the real world and this layout with
> it's majestic and very accurate scenery deserves
> better IMHO. I know, I know, this will not be a
> popular statement but I am only stating my opinion
> and nothing more. Bruce

I'd love to see some of the pictures from the operating sessions you attended!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0541 seconds