Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Model Railroading > Scale Trains SD40-2 and Function numbers

Date: 05/27/19 22:15
Scale Trains SD40-2 and Function numbers
Author: fbe

This is the output for the Lok Sound V5.0 decoders.

F0, Headlights F&R
F1, Bell
F2, Horn
F3, Coupler
F4, Low idle stopped, Dynamic brake moving
F5, Class lights, cycle through colors
F7, Beacon
F8, Sound & numberboard lights
F11, Fan
F12, Lights dim
F13, Slow spitter
F16, Shut down spitter
F17, Brake set/release
F18, Sander (like no loco noise I have heard)
F19, Short air let off
F20, Compressor

I am disappointed there is no complete lighting shut down so trailing units in a consist can be run without number boards lit. I will probably unsolder the wires to the rear numberboards and class lights for prototypical operations. Does anyone know a way to remap the numberboards to one of many unused Functions?

Scale Trains includes the same quick guide they used for Lok Sound V4.0 decoders so I used a Lok Programmer updated to 5.0.67 firmware to cycle through a couple of MILW SD40-2 units to check every decoder function.

Date: 05/27/19 23:46
Re: Scale Trains SD40-2 and Function numbers
Author: tracktime

Hi FBE,
There is an easy way to turn on and off the numberboard lights independently of the sound.  With a Lokprogrammer, it is very straightforward to remap the AUX function activated by F8 that illuminates for the numberboards to a different function. AUX1[1] controls the numberboard lignting on my SD40T-2s. So I assigned Function F6 to AUX1[1], and removed AUX1[1] from Function F8 (enable/disable sound).

For example, on my BN SD40-2s, and my V5 Dash9-44CW and V5 SD40T-2s, I made the change.  So now, F8 just turns on/off the sound, and nothing else.  If I want my numberboards lit or turned off, regardless if the sound is on or off, I just hit F6.  Or if I just want sound - independent of numberboards illuminated or not, I just press F8.

Cheers,
Harry

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/19 09:56 by tracktime.

Date: 05/27/19 23:59
Author: RRBMail

Functions for DCC Ready units:

F1: Forward
F2: Backward

Date: 05/28/19 05:23
Author: brfriedm

Function of old crusty farts who are tech illiterate  =  Berate others who are.....

Bruce

RRBaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Functions for DCC Ready units:
>
> F1: Forward
> F2: Backward

Date: 05/28/19 06:31
Author: acltrainman

What about F9 & F10, Drive hold and brake functions? They are included.

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

Date: 05/28/19 08:50

OK, nothing on the Scale Trains paperwork says anything about those Functions, F9 and F10 are blank. I had the SD40-2 units on a 3' test track using the Lok Programmer as a throttle so there was no way to test the units at speed. Certainly these functions could be something Lok Sound offers from the factory and is not covered in the V4.0 paperwork Scale Train provides.

Thanks for your update.

acltrainman Wrote:
> What about F9 & F10, Drive hold and brake
> functions? They are included.
>  

Date: 05/28/19 09:30

Here are the functions listed in the Lok Sound V5.0 Quick Start Guide.

F6, Aux1 + Aux2 front ditch lights
F9, Drive hold
F10, Independent brake
F14, Handbrake
F15, Isolation switch
F21, Air dryer
F22, Cab door
F23, Engine compartment doors
F24, Reverser centered
F25, Shutters open, close
F26, Manual notching up
F27, Manual notching down
F28, Manaul notching logic
F29, Automatic brake Emergency
F30, Automatic brake
F31, Sound fader

I never heard any sound using the Lok Programmer for F10-F31. I will need to try these using a Digitrax throttle next.

Anyone else who wants to poke around with these Functions is welcome to do so.

Alan

Date: 05/28/19 10:26
Author: tracklight

fbe Wrote:
> F18, Sander (like no loco noise I have heard)

Worse yet, it comes on random fashion when running.  It sounds like metal on metal grinding, like dry starting an engine with no oil.  I need to read up to figure out how to shut it off, akin to shutting off the cab radio/toilet flush/wrenches noises on Tsu2's...

Date: 05/28/19 12:07

I never heard any cab or radio chatter at any time and two units were left powered up on the test track for over 2 hours. Lok Sound and Scale Trains do not list anything on their Functio list so I am not sure where to find it. Once you find that the Lok Sound V5.0 manual will give the CV which controls so you might change that value to 0 to shut it off.

Date: 05/28/19 16:08
Author: jimbertone

These work on Digitrax?  Teach me please!!!

Jim Bertone
Quincy, MA

Date: 05/28/19 16:25
Author: tracklight

fbe Wrote:
> I never heard any cab or radio chatter at any time
> and two units were left powered up on the test
> track for over 2 hours.

That reference was comparing the toyish random noises present on Tsunami 2 decoders that you have to zero out when setting up an Athearn engine.  For the heck of it, I hit F18 on my older run V4 Loksound SD40-2 and got the same wretched noise for 'sanders'.  The only difference is on the V5's ESU has made this F18 sander noise as a randomly repeating sound when the locomotive is moving, much like an air release or spitter valve would be randomly played with no user input.  I'm sure there is a setting that can be changed; if not I'll just zero out the volume value for that effect.

Date: 05/28/19 18:34
Author: ChrisCampi

Has anything other then the quick start guide been published on the V5 yet? I’ve been using the V4 manual to this point, but haven’t checked ESU for a few weeks.

Date: 05/28/19 18:44

The V5.0 Quick Start and full manual are available for download at ESU.

Date: 05/28/19 20:33
Author: ChrisCampi

fbe Wrote:
> The V5.0 Quick Start and full manual are
> available for download at ESU.

Thank you. ESU cleaned up their downloads section and the V5 manual was a quick and easy download.

Date: 05/29/19 02:57

Push down func and 1 at the same time then release them together. Your display will show +10. Then press 8 and F18 activates. Then press func to get back to normal. Holding func and 2 to release at the same time will get you +20.

I don't know if you can go higher than F28.

jimbertone Wrote:
> These work on Digitrax?  Teach me please!!!

Date: 06/01/19 21:30

I went through my xf+10 and xf+20 functions on my DT402D this evening and could not get any extra sounds like cab door, hand brake, shutters or carbody latches to sound. The throttle display shows Extender Function is available under Options and the screen display shows small numbers on the top line turn on in extended mode.

I still have not figured out how to get the number boards AUX1(1) from F8 to F6. Any ideas for the proper CVs and the number value for the numberboard lights?

With the Lok Programmer do I need to make a choice from the first pull down menue or can I do it from the operator's cab display?

Thanks.

EDIT:

I have been deep into the ESU manuals for V5.0 hardware. It may be one needs to go through all the functions on a locomotive and activate or confirm what the functions are going to do.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/19 01:39 by fbe.

Date: 06/02/19 13:10
Author: sp8234

Won't this be easy to do in JMRI/Decoder Pro without a LOK programer?
I have done very little with Lok Sound, a -9 & SD40-2 & only changing the address & doing Advanced Constisting on them.
I will be doing more with them within Decoder Pro.
Tim
Hanesworth

Date: 06/02/19 14:26

I don't really know about that. I have usually done address changes and lighting with Digitrax throttles. I own a Lok Programmer and used it a couple of times for addresses but was confused about the requirement you need to start a new project to do anything with a unit. Then it was not clear if I might use an existing SD40-2 project or if I needed to open a brand new project to get another SD40-2 with a new number. I may meed to explore some tube videos.

One of the pull down choices which comes up when you open the Programmer is supposed to ask you what you want to happen when you move the cursor over the F button. I haven't tried that yet.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0581 seconds