Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Model Railroading > Rapido Comet Car ???

Date: 06/03/19 17:06
Rapido Comet Car ???
Author: atsf121

Quick question for those that know. Are the Comet Cars that Rapido announced today the same ex-NJT cars that UTA Frontrunner uses along with the Bombardier cars?

And Jason, Bombardier cars??? They are Canadian after all!

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/03/19 18:37
Re: Rapido Comet Car ???
Author: tmurray

The cars UTA uses are older, Comet-I cars, they have low level platform doors.
The Rapido car is a Comet II.

atsf121 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quick question for those that know. Are the Comet
> Cars that Rapido announced today the same ex-NJT
> cars that UTA Frontrunner uses along with the
> Bombardier cars?
>
> And Jason, Bombardier cars??? They are Canadian
> after all!
>
> Nathan
>
> Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/03/19 20:57
Author: atsf121

Thanks tmurray, that saves me a little bit of money - for now.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/04/19 06:58
Author: joemvcnj

The NJT Comet-I cars from 1970 were built by Pullman Standard. Similar cars with traps built for MBTA in the latet 1970's were also Pullman Standard. The sheet metal seems on the ends are a little different. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/19 09:47 by joemvcnj.

Date: 06/04/19 07:06
Author: SPDRGWfan

Traps?

Date: 06/04/19 07:34
Author: Hartington

Traps? - As I understand it when the station has a high level platform you just walk from the train to the platform at (give or take an inch) the same level.

When the platform is at ground level you need to go down some staps from floor level in the train to get to the ground. So that trains can serve both types of platform the floor by the door can be lifted (like a trapdoor) to reveal some steps down. Put the trapdoor back in place and you can use the same door to a train level platform.

Date: 06/04/19 09:11
Author: HB90MACH

Septa version has traps

Date: 06/04/19 09:51
Author: joemvcnj

If there are no trap doors, the doorway is likely shifted lower. Over half the NJT Comet I's, including all the cab cars,  were modified with traps during a rebuild.
There is also the Montreal version. It has a huge door in height, from the bottom step to the roof line. No trap. They can't be run out of Gare Central. 
Sound like fun modifying all these P-S and Bombardier version, forgetting about the center door.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Montreal+AMT+700+series+car&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS809US809&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=hlDO9dsTR-7VWM%253A%252CpCsORUfnFOD4aM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQuPsdMKio39__OpzZBHu0YsJJ3Og&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjAnYSOpNDiAhVxZN8KHc4rBvMQ9QEwAHoECAUQBA#imgrc=bhrxPDlDHjS5UM:&vet=1

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds