Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Model Railroading > PecoRama extravaganza - in the outdoors

Date: 06/10/19 06:45
PecoRama extravaganza - in the outdoors
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Just returned from a 3 week Euro trip.  The first week we were in SW England, and established a base
in Exeter.  Searching for a live steam outlet, I came across PecoRama in the quaint village of Beer, in Devon.

PecoRama is part a Peco who of course manufactures model train items.  There is a genius indoor promotion of their
products (more on that later) and a really nice outdoor live steam track, 2.5" scale, 7.25" track gauge.  There are
gardens, mini-golf, and a restaurant on the grounds but the main draw is the trains.  We didn't ride, as there were
tons of folks there with kids and I can ride my train anytime, so we just walked about and took it all in.  Locomotives
are all coal fired, and the track is signaled with usually four trains running (or stopped for passenger loading/unloading).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/19 07:05 by WrongWayMurphy.

Date: 06/10/19 06:58
Re: PecoRama extravaganza - in the outdoors

Pecorama is located on a hillside overlooking the town of Beer and English Channel.

The track goes through a tunnel under the road to the car park and to a double loop arrangement.

Upon close inspection of the roadbed and trackwork, I would deem it to be close to flawless.

Date: 06/10/19 07:02

Here is a photo I took of the track layout.

I highly recommend PecoRama to anyone that can make the trip to Devon in the UK..

As previously mentioned, a second installment will be forthcoming on the indoor portion of PecoRama.

Date: 06/10/19 07:10
Author: SPDRGWfan

Pretty cool!  There is a small ride-on RR (The Lakeshore Railroad in a park where my wife is from but they operate in the summers.  Being South Shields is up north in the UK, it's pretty cold in the off season.  The cool thing is they havea  US style 4-6-2 steam engin.

Date: 06/10/19 07:36
Author: King_Coal

That's a really nice set-up! Thanks for sharing it.

Date: 06/11/19 18:33
Author: atsf121

That looks amazing, thanks for posting.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/18/19 19:30
Author: rapidotrains

I've been there, had lunch in the dining car, and rode the miniature train. It was fabulous. The only trouble was finding it.

My friend was navigating using Google Maps, which can't tell the difference between an A road and a country track, because country tracks in the UK officially have a 60 MPH speed limit. 

It was quite a hair-raising adventure, especially as I was driving a manual car on the left side of a road about 6" wider than the car....

-Jason

Date: 06/19/19 05:33
Author: SPDRGWfan

rapidotrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was quite a hair-raising adventure, especially
> as I was driving a manual car on the left side of
> a road about 6" wider than the car....
>
> -Jason

Hah hah!  I was across the pond a few years ago with my British wife and we visited a model train club way up north in Sunderland, which we took the Metro to get too.  One of the club members had an American left hand drive Cadillac Escalade he had shipped over and drove it to the club.  He gave us a ride back from Sunderland to South Shields and it was quite the ride, a big American SUV on those narrow British roads, but we rode in style!

Cheers, Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.052 seconds