Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Model Railroading > Models stolen in front of restaurant - Point Richmond, CA

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 06/16/19 00:03
Models stolen in front of restaurant - Point Richmond, CA
Author: tracktime

After dinner on Saturday night, June 15 in Point Richmond, CA, someone broke into Butch Eyler's truck and stole a bag containing some of his models.
If you see anyone with these models, please do let me or Butch know.

Best Regards,
Harry K. Wong

Date: 06/16/19 05:16
Re: Models stolen in front of restaurant - Point Richmond, CA
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Man, that stinks.

Bet the thief’s reaction was something like “ oh, just a bunch of crummy rusted up toys”.

Hoping for the best outcome, 

Shane Murphy
Tyler, Tex

Date: 06/16/19 06:22
Author: gandydancer4

And now you know why my best friend is a dog. People, in general, suck. I'll lay you odds the people that did this WERE NOT model railroaders who, as my dog, have always been great, always been  glad to see me, hated it when I left them and were incredibly talented. The good thing about this is that they may have taken your models BUT they can NEVER take the talent it took to make them. In my old age, I have become a firm beliver in Christian Karma.... that is to say,  YOU WILL SEW WHAT YOU REAP. I truly hope that all turns out well. 

Date: 06/16/19 07:13
Author: Hookdragkick

I just looked up Butch Eyler. His work is impressive and more along the lines of what I enjoy seeing: modern and realistic. It's a shame someone ripped him off. Keep an eye on eBay and the selling groups on Facebook. 

Date: 06/16/19 09:39
Author: PHall

Hookdragkick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just looked up Butch Eyler. His work is
> impressive and more along the lines of what I
> enjoy seeing: modern and realistic. It's a shame
> someone ripped him off. Keep an eye on eBay and
> the selling groups on Facebook. 

More likely in a dumpster.

Date: 06/16/19 09:40
Author: dan

look around the alleys near by etc

Date: 06/16/19 09:50
Author: dmaffei

What a drag 
Smash and grab is real problem around the Bay Area. If you have something a thief can see through the window of your car that looks valuable, it's a target. Not sure of what happened to Butch, but please be advised.  I lost a company laptop this. way in Vacaville 5 years ago. I would advise to look in dumpsters in the area. That's how the found my bag minus the laptop.  They may have thrown it away after finding no computer equipment.  Just sharing my personal experience here.

Date: 06/16/19 10:13
Author: Hookdragkick

Always carry a poisonous snake in your HO-bag. It worked in Kill Bill.

Date: 06/16/19 10:46
Author: ChrisCampi

dmaffei Wrote:
> What a drag 
> Smash and grab is real problem around the Bay
> Area. If you have something a thief can see
> through the window of your car that looks
> valuable, it's a target. Not sure of what happened
> to Butch, but please be advised.  I lost a
> company laptop this. way in Vacaville 5 years ago.
> I would advise to look in dumpsters in the area.
> That's how the found my bag minus the laptop.
>  They may have thrown it away after finding no
> computer equipment.  Just sharing my personal
> experience here

This^^^

Most likely thief searches bag very soon after theft and tosses it into nearby shrubs. Worth a look.

Date: 06/17/19 09:32
Author: Bscale316

I think "you reap what you sow" instead.
Bill in Ft Worth

Date: 06/17/19 11:43
Author: SP4360

Dye packs .

Date: 06/17/19 12:04
Author: PHall

How about don't leave it in view? Put it in the trunk. If they can't see it they usually won't bother.

Date: 06/17/19 12:11
Author: SPDRGWfan

Or if you don't have a trunk, cover up.  Both my cars don't have trunks but do have slide back covers (Prius and RAV4) to hide anything in the back.

Date: 06/17/19 13:25
Author: brfriedm

You all think that these folks saw boxes or bags in the car and thought "Lets break in and take this stuff without knowing what it is". Where I live, break ins are targeted and thieves know what they are going after. Why risk a break in over something worth nothing?

It is my opinion and only that, that the folks who stole this stuff were model railroaders with a bad side. His work is amazing and they probably saw it at the show and then followed him afterwards. He weathers and grafitti's his work and some of the folks who do this work or are interested in this work try and project a badass side.

Just a theory. Nothing more.  Bruce

Date: 06/17/19 13:33
Author: dan

or they saw something that they thought they wanted, even if misstaken?

Date: 06/17/19 14:15
Author: SP_8299

While there are theives in the hobby (just like in any walk of life), I doubt someone followed Butch in order to steal his models.  Break-ins like this are common, in cities all over the country, no matter the socio-economic status; the SoCal city I live in, which is considered upper-middle class, has had a serious problem over the past few years with vehicle break-ins of this type.  The weekly crime reports are loaded with break-ins of this type, at local businesses, and even in front of homes, at all times of the day.  Hell, my next door neighbor had his pickup truck broken into last year, where they swiped his gym bag off the front seat.  The local Sheriffs department is constantly reminding residents to NOT leave anything in plain sight inside their vehicle.  Family that are LEOs say the same thing.  Thieves simply see a target of opportunity with minimal risk; smash the car window, grab the bag, purse, backpack, whatever, and take it away to a "safe" spot to inspect their ill-gotten gains.  More often than not, they're expecting the purses or gym bags to have IDs, cash, and/or credit cards inside, or backpacks holding laptops, tablets, or other valuable electronics that are easily fenced.  If not, and it's something of little or no value to them, no big deal to the crook; toss it in the weeds or the closest dumpster, and try again with another victim.  It stinks, but it's the reality we live in.  Keep your valuables hidden in your trunk, or better yet, bring them inside!

brfriedm Wrote:
> You all think that these folks saw boxes or bags
> in the car and thought "Lets break in and take
> this stuff without knowing what it is". Where I
> live, break ins are targeted and thieves know what
> they are going after. Why risk a break in over
> something worth nothing?
>
> It is my opinion and only that, that the folks who
> stole this stuff were model railroaders with a bad
> side. His work is amazing and they probably saw it
> at the show and then followed him afterwards. He
> weathers and grafitti's his work and some of the
> folks who do this work or are interested in this
> work try and project a badass side.
>
> Just a theory. Nothing more.  Bruce

Date: 06/17/19 14:41
Author: grahamline

Trunk is no deterrent. Ask any police officer or a body shop worker.  Friend of mine at a meet in Sacramento had some irreplaceable modeling related stuff taken from his car recently, also at a restaurant.  It takes two minutes or less to pop open a trunk and remove anything that looks promising -- meaning any bag or wrapped package.  If a lurker sees you go into a restaurant, they know you'll be there for half an hour. Chances of getting caught are slim, and if they get busted, penalties don't matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/19 14:43 by grahamline.

Date: 06/17/19 15:06
Author: ChrisCampi

You all think that these folks saw boxes or bags in the car and thought "Lets break in and take this stuff without knowing what it is".

Sorry Bruce. Your going to have to wrap your head around this. They absolutely do around here. Its easy and few if any consequences.

Date: 06/17/19 16:08
Author: fbe

I want my support crocodile. Nobody is going to break into my SUV nor Shang hi me in a dark alley so long as my buddy is by my side. Busses and airlines may be problematic.

Date: 06/17/19 16:24
Author: SPDRGWfan

4thDistrict Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> Unfortunately, thieves have become so brazen that
> they will break in even if they can't see anything
> on the hopes of finding something. The rear cover
> on SUVs is no protection

Maybe, but chances are increased a great deal if a thief see something to Target. Better to not add temptation.

Posted from Android

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.049 seconds