Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Model Railroading > Re-Powering an Overland U28CG

Date: 07/01/19 11:11
Re-Powering an Overland U28CG
Author: UPJeff

I finally got around to installing DCC/Sound, lights into one of my U28CGs and after running on the layout found that it does not run well at all.  The Overland U28CG came with the tank drive, which is not a very good drive at all.  I know others have converted the tank drive to something else.
I have four of these U28CGs to repower.  Since I just got done repowering five Hallmark U30CGs with Atlas drives, I am wondering if the Atlas drive could be used for the U28CG?  
If you have converted a U28CG or have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.  

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 07/01/19 12:07
Re: Re-Powering an Overland U28CG
Author: fbe

You have taken on quite a challenge. The brass models will have a solid floor which will need to have holes cut into it for gear towers to pass through after adding bolsters underneath. If you are really lucky you might be able to cut the whole floor and fuel tank assembly away and install the Atlas chassis intact. Getting the body height correct will be the challenge. At least you know the coupler height on the Atlas chassis will be right and you can build from there.

Keep us informed, please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/19 12:50 by fbe.

Date: 07/01/19 18:49
Author: sp8234

Have you thought about brass stock & Athearn (or who's ever you are using) trucks? A brass frame is sorta easy to build & you might be able to use the factory mounting for the shell. A Friend did this for 10 Oriental F unit from the 1987 (?) run. He used the factory motors in a channel frame with the factory mounting. 
Does the U28CG have a channel that rests on the frame? Is the frame sheet brass? 

Tim
Hanesworth

Date: 07/01/19 19:57
Author: sixaxlecentury

I converted an Overland C39-8, which I imagine is a rather similar setup, to an Atlas drive.  It took a fair amount of work, but I was able to get an Atlas -8 drive under it.    I dont know much about the wheelbases on the U28's,  but would an Atlas U boat chassis work?  

Date: 07/01/19 20:09
Author: PHall

A U28CG should have the same chassis as a U30C. So what you did on the U30CG's should work for the U28CG.

Date: 07/01/19 20:45
Author: g-spotter1

Same chassis, just lengthen the fuel/water tank.  I used an Atlas.

Date: 07/02/19 07:20
Author: UPJeff

This weekend I to take one of my U28CGs apart and one of the converted U30CG and see if the Atlas frame is an option.  One thing nice is the fuel/water tank on the U28CG comes off as a complete unit and may be able to go onto the Atlas chassis, if not I will have a fuel/water tank 3D printed

Will update with photos.  Thanks for all the ideas.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0302 seconds