Home Open Account Help 208 users online

Model Railroading > Fooey, Another Item Discontinued

Date: 07/01/19 19:07
Fooey, Another Item Discontinued
Author: wabash2800

I wanted Alclad2 Brass paint for a large scale static (1860s) steam loco I am building and just found out that it's been discontinued. Do many of you serious modelers who want more out of the hobby than RTR items, find that some great products are no longer available? I suppose we must be the minority and don't create the demand. A speculator realized this and is selling the item for about 400% of the normal retail. OK, I'll find it eventually at a decent price. The same thing happened to some brass shapes I need for a signaling project. I finally did find some collecting dust in a California hobby shop. I am relieved that Scalecoat Paints are again available but saddened about loss of detail parts from a major supplier.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/19 19:52 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/02/19 03:21
Re: Fooey, Another Item Discontinued
Author: BNModeler

Right there with you!

Date: 07/02/19 08:37
Author: Cupolau

I'm afraid it's the age of convenience. Google it and you got your answer. It's faster and more convenient having it ready-to-run then spending your time trying to figure how to put it together. I'm from the "Old School" and enjoy trying to figure out why my brass engine won't run but there's times when I would pay the extra money to replace it with a ready-to-run model.

Date: 07/02/19 09:53
Author: Westbound

Please do us all a favor and tell us the name and city of that hobby shop that helped you. Hobby shops are rare enough but one carrying unusual or rare parts need exposure.

Date: 07/02/19 13:14
Author: original

Where did you see this ? - There is nothing on their webpage that states they are discontinuing !

Date: 07/02/19 15:00

When I first contacted Alclad2 I wanted it to recommend a supplier that has turnover on inventory, as I wished to purchase about seven of their products, including the polished brass color, and didn't want something that had been sitting around.

The Alclad2 contact person provided two sources. Both sources did not show the polished brass paint in stock. When I made contact again, Alclad2 assured me that both sources reorder monthly. When the two distributors flat out told me that it is no longer carried, Alclad2's final email to me was, "The Polished Brass isn’t available anymore- the pigment has been discontinued by the only manufacturer who made it." 

That, folks, is straight from the horse's mouth.

ALL THE OTHER COLORS ARE STILL AVAILABLE.

Victor A. Baird

original Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where did you see this ? - There is nothing on
> their webpage that states they are discontinuing
> !
>  

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/19 17:39 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/02/19 15:08
Author: original

if you are looking for ALC109 "Polished Brass" - Burbank House of Hobbies - Bubank cCA , has 3 bottles - The Original Whistle Stop in Pasadena CA has 6 bottles and their wholsaler has 23 bottles still in inventory - How  amny would you like ?

Date: 07/02/19 15:29

Thanks I did find a supplier.

Victor

Date: 07/02/19 15:39

The hobby shop that provided me the etched brass K&S Engineerng girders, that are no longer made, was California Hobby Distributors of Alhambra, CA. Marta was the owner and very courteous and helpful. I bought most of what she had of 02778 and 02779 as have several projects in progress. K&S told me that they no longer make the two items.

Note that they are a wholesaler, but when I could not find the items on the open market, they made an exception and sold them to me (at retail price).

Victor A. Baird

Westbound Wrote:
> Please do us all a favor and tell us the name and
> city of that hobby shop that helped you. Hobby
> shops are rare enough but one carrying unusual or
> rare parts need exposure.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/19 18:39 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/02/19 16:57
Author: dan

thought it was phooey

Date: 07/02/19 17:45

Dan:

Both spellings exist. 

dan Wrote:
> thought it was phooey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/19 17:46 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0642 seconds