Home Open Account Help 148 users online

Model Railroading > Roseville model train club forced out


Date: 07/03/19 08:46
Roseville model train club forced out
Author: Copy19




Date: 07/03/19 09:01
Re: Roseville model train club forced out
Author: SPDRGWfan

Hopefully they will be allowed to build nearby on the grounds; something they are checking into.



Date: 07/03/19 09:12
Re: Roseville model train club forced out
Author: ble692

Makes me wonder how much longer the International Railfair show will last there. It has slowly been getting smaller over the years. Less buildings, less vendors, no more live steam. Just seems as if the railfan demographic isn't what they are looking for now @the Grounds...



Date: 07/03/19 09:17
Re: Roseville model train club forced out
Author: RRBaron

So what is to be come of International Railfair now in its 42nd(?) year that uses the fairgrounds in November? I believe it's the biggest trainshow in the West. 



Date: 07/03/19 09:52
Re: Roseville model train club forced out
Author: MarkG

RRBaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So what is to be come of International Railfair
> now in its 42nd(?) year that uses the fairgrounds
> in November? I believe it's the biggest trainshow
> in the West. 

 From what I've heard there will be an International Railfair held at the fair grounds for this November. After that it's up in the air. I do live in Roseville and that covention complex is going to be HUGE. Not sure why they're calling a Sports Complex other than sporting events can also be held there, but there will be more than just sporting events held there.

best regards,
Mark G.
Sacrmento Model RR Historical Society
Napa Model RR Tecnhical and Historcal Society



Date: 07/03/19 12:15
Re: Roseville model train club forced out
Author: RRBaron

ble692 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Makes me wonder how much longer the International
> Railfair show will last there. It has slowly been
> getting smaller over the years. Less buildings,
> less vendors, no more live steam.

Is the sky falling? I have been a regular dealer at IRF for decades and whilst the numbers seem somewhat lower, the vendor sales are holding steady and even climbing for me. However, moving to a different location may really hurt IFR, in part because of the natural draw of the adjacent UP Roseville Yard and Shops as well as Roseville's Railroad Hobbies, one of the best train shops in the state. IRF is particularly good for picking-up old, out of production HO plastic models and brass at low prices! 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/19 15:28 by RRBaron.



Date: 07/03/19 15:11
Re: Roseville model train club forced out
Author: SPDRGWfan

RRBaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The sky is falling?

I imagine it is for the Rosevill club folks.  Just sayin...



Date: 07/03/19 21:36
Re: Roseville model train club forced out
Author: ble692

RRBaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the sky falling? I have been a regular dealer
> at IRF for decades and whilst the numbers seem
> somewhat lower, the vendor sales are holding
> steady and even climbing for me. However, moving
> to a different location may really hurt IFR, in
> part because of the natural draw of the adjacent
> UP Roseville Yard and Shops as well as Roseville's
> Railroad Hobbies, one of the best train shops in
> the state. IRF is particularly good for picking-up
> old, out of production HO plastic models and brass
> at low prices! 

I also have been attending IRF for a long time, since the mid 90s. That being said, there is no arguing the event is smaller than it was. There is an Army building a little ways back from the main buildings that was used in the past. It hasn't been used for IRF in years. Then just last year the building up front that was used for the international train displays was torn down. The live steam group has nowhere to setup now so that is gone too. Last year there were basically no vendors outside the two main buildings (non railroad vendors, but vendors nonetheless, and certainly ones my wife visited). Now the railroad club is being forced out. I will say the two main buildings do look really nice now after receiving some way overdue repairs and upgrades, but it's like the management is looking for higher end deals. Hopefully the IRF does continue to happen. As a local and long time attendee I would be disappointed to see it go. It makes for a nice way to spend a day, and a few bucks.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/19 21:37 by ble692.



Date: 07/04/19 06:50
Re: Roseville model train club forced out
Author: BAB

Got a kick out of the statement, the County is going to do it, no the TAX PAYERS are going to be stuck with the cost and upkeep which will mean increased taxes. Oh gee they always leave that out of it, but say well it will pay for itself if asked. Not too often do these projects pay for themselves either.



Date: 07/06/19 01:17
Re: Roseville model train club forced out
Author: RRBaron

ble692 Wrote:. There is
> an Army building a little ways back from the main
> buildings that was used in the past. It hasn't
> been used for IRF in years. 

The "Army" building is actrually the local National Guard Armory, IRF was booted out it it years ago when the Middle East really heated up. This Public/Private Partnership BS hit the LA County Fair some years back and as a result the giant O-scale club was kicked-out from under the grandstand it had occupied for 60 years. PPP means the people own it, but a private company reels-in the benefits. 



Date: 07/15/19 14:25
Re: Roseville model train club forced out
Author: TomG

They need to move up the road to Linda. Lots of room in the old mall that has never had much in it since the levy food in the 70s. No demand to run them out of there and room for the show.



Date: 07/15/19 18:32
Re: Roseville model train club forced out
Author: Streamliner

TomG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They need to move up the road to Linda. Lots of
> room in the old mall that has never had much in it
> since the levy food in the 70s. No demand to run
> them out of there and room for the show.

Then, as soon as they get everything all set up, the announcement will be made that the mall is being torn down.  Empty malls will not sit like that too long.  Those who own it will find a way to make the location turn a profit, once again.  Heck, the governor wants tons of new housing built.  It may go that way, who knows?



Date: 07/16/19 22:32
Re: Roseville model train club forced out
Author: mundo

I sure would stay away from old Malls,  the will come down for other uses.
Even those open now, could be gone down the road.  Only a few will remain.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/19 22:34 by mundo.



Date: 07/20/19 18:21
Re: Roseville model train club forced out
Author: EricSP

Plus tweakers have probably stolen all the copper from the AC units and maybe wires.



Date: 07/24/19 03:49
Re: Roseville model train club forced out
Author: Larry020

IRF was booted out of the National Guard Armory after 9/11.

Linda is 33 miles away.  A move of that distance could really kill a club.  There has to be a closer solution.  



Date: 07/24/19 08:18
Re: Roseville model train club forced out
Author: SPDRGWfan

EricSP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Plus tweakers have probably stolen all the copper
> from the AC units and maybe wires.

My wife, from England, would call them twokers!



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0712 seconds