Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Model Railroading > A good set of Pliers

Date: 07/03/19 11:36
A good set of Pliers
Author: SD608708

Looking for a good set of pliers including a wire cutter. I would like some that last longer than a year and not chip if you cut wire.
Any Suggestions?

Paul B
Canton, GA

Date: 07/03/19 11:53
Re: A good set of Pliers
Author: wjpyper

I have Snap-on brand pliers and wire cutters that I have had for more than 50 years. They are sold from their tool trucks that you can often see parked near auto repair garages or online. I also have a lot of Craftsman tools that are very durable. They are now available at some Ace hardware stores.
Bill Pyper
Salem, Oregon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/19 11:56 by wjpyper.

Date: 07/03/19 12:22
Author: pilotblue

It may be that you are using the wrong tool to cut wire. Example, piano wire is quite hard and will cause most side cutters to chip. Xuron makes a small hand shear that has opposing curved cutting edges, they cut the hardest wire cleanly with no damage to the cutting edges. Rail nippers are great for cutting rail but if left on the work bench end up getting used for everything, that's where the damage comes in.

Try the Xuron product line, I think Micro-Mark should be able to help you.

FYI, Absolutely not preaching here, learned all this the hard way!

Date: 07/03/19 13:45
Author: trainnut7

Kline tools

Date: 07/03/19 14:24
Author: boejoe

I've seen Craftsman tools lately in Lowe's Home Centers (but they may be regional vs national in presence)

Date: 07/03/19 14:27
Author: Spoony81

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've seen Craftsman tools lately in Lowe's Home
> Centers (but they may be regional vs national in
> presence)

I think it's national, Lowe's is also selling Craftsman outdoor power equipment

Date: 07/03/19 15:07
Author: TCnR

As mentioned above it depends on the type of wire. Lineman's pliers work well for thick copper. There's fence pliers, for working with barb wire and .... fences. Smaller wire may not be simple soft copper.

Date: 07/03/19 17:02
Author: Bucyrus-Erie

4thDistrict Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sears sold the Craftsman brand to Black and Decker
> in early 2017, which in turn sold the brand to
> Lowes for rollout in late 2018.
>
> https://money.cnn.com/2017/10/24/news/companies/cr
> aftsman-lowes-sears/index.html

I don't think Craftsman was sold to Lowe's. Stanley Black & Decker has selected Lowe's to be the main retailer of their Craftsman Tools.

Date: 07/04/19 06:44
Author: BAB

I agree on getting Snap On brand for them I too have side cutters made by them and doesnt seem to bother them in the least to cut most anything.   I even have small end wrenches for my models made by them along with pliars and such. They make very nice and druable line of miniture tools well worth the money. I have two tool boxed from my life as a profesional mechanic full of there tools also that lasted me 50 years of service.  Boyd in Chiloquin OR where the sky is clear blue and warm. Happy Forth to every one remember our Troops and our freedom won by them.

Date: 07/04/19 06:47
Author: miniempire

Ace Hardware is also carrying the Craftsman brand.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.037 seconds